Legal Question (another)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
I often hear on the local news a reference to someone being arrested for battery, arrested for assault, or arrested for assault and battery. What is the difference between "assault" and "battery"? Curious minds need to know.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Legal Question (another)

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br />What is the difference between "assault" and "battery"?
Oh I could run with this one but I won't BB. Good question though.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I'm no legal eagle but I believe that 'assault' does not nessesarily involved physical contact.<br /><br />Aldo

silenscurator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We don't have that charge up here in Canada, what we have though is Assault, Assault with a weapon and Assault causing bodily harm. We keep it good and simple up here...well, when it comes to assaults anyways. there are also different sections for Se* assault and stuff too

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you swing and miss, it is assault. (Also covers other less physical intimidation)<br /><br />If you swing and hit then it is assault and battery.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

In Nebraska we just have assault in either the first, second or third degree. If a weapon was used it is a felony. Third degree ranges from threats to physical contact without serious bodily injury. <br />My understanding is the main difference is the amount and kind of contact example closed fist as opposed to open hand slapping or pushing, and the amount of injury inflicted.

NYMINUTE

Captain

sport25.gif
<br />I always thought battery was the use of an object to swing with such as a bat. Guns and knives being deadly weapons. I thing the swing and miss is assault like jinx said.

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I assault my fish before cook'en and i use my battery to start my boat motor.<br /><br />I use my 9mm Glock or .357 Ruger to take care of issues and problems.