left key in on position

Ron Regan

Seaman Apprentice
My son and I worked till midnight last night to get everything ready for today. We put the motor back on the boat and hooked up the running lights and all of the cables for the controls.I have a 87--50 hp force and replaced the impeller. I had a garbage can full of water to check the pump and it worked fine but this morning my wife went to get the sunday paper and told me that the boat motor was smoking.I removed the cover and found the top coil smoking and cracked open on both ends. I disconnected the battery.I found that the ignition switch was left on over night.If it is like a car years ago I know you can't leave the ignition on that it will burn out the points.My questions are is this what caused the coil to burst and what else is likely to have fried.I have ordered new points and the dealer did not know the correct setting on the gap.If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.<br />Thanks<br />Ron

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: left key in on position

Don't know about Force but Chrysler were .015 for magnapower ignitions and .020 for magneto ignitions.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: left key in on position

Hi KonRon, common problem with points ignition, if the ignition is left on and the points are closed current flows through the ignition coil and after a period of time it overheats, sometimes to destruction as you found out. With the engine running the current in the coil is constantly switched ON and OFF, this causes the average current to be much less than with the engine not running and the points closed with ignition on. Points systems also use a switched out when cranking and in when running resistor to reduce the voltage and control the current in the coil when running to help avoid overheating. Good luck, Ken