Leaving outboard sitting

madmarlin

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guy's my job requires me to go away for 6-8 weeks at a time and my 25hp 2 stroke pull start Mercury dosn't get used for this time. What should I do to prepare my motor for this lenght of time sitting idle besides flush with fresh water and run fuel out of the carbie.<br />Thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: Leaving outboard sitting

It wouldn't hurt to either load the engine up with a rich mixture by useing the enrichment system or to fog it when flushing

madmarlin

Seaman Apprentice

excuse my ignorence but what is the enrichment system and how do you fog it whilst flushing.

Laddies

Banned

The choke, you can use a spray can thru the carb as it idles

madmarlin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, have also heard about applying spray into exhaust is this correct or just an old wives tale

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

I would always add fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank everytime you fill.

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

6-8 weeks, I don't think is a long time. The only thing to possibly worry about it a gummed up carb.<br /><br />With my V-6's, (3 carbs) I run Stabilzer in every tank. With your single carb engine I would disconnect the fuel line and burn the gas out of the carb to a point... as it idles near the end it will begin to run lean (more air/less fuel) and it will rev up as it leans out, kill it when it begins to rev up as you don't want to risk running the engine without lubrication. <br /><br />I've done this successfully for 20 years with a 20HP merc without issue, if your carbs gum up they are easy to clean, you can then go the Stabilizer route. IF it sits longer than that, start her up occasionally and run a bit on a hose then run her dry again. I wouldn't go to the trouble of fogging it for 2 months sitting still.

madmarlin

Seaman Apprentice

thanks grandx this is what I have been doing with no problems so far just wanted to make sure, also is the fuel ok to leave in tank for this length of time.