Leaving a boat in the water

sychan29

Cadet
Hello all,

I trailer my boat and have been taking it out of the water. Been thinking about leaving it in, particularly over weekends or if I will be using it several weekends in a row. What kind of special prep will I need?

I have a trailer cover, but I'm not sure that will work in the water. I've purchased a couple of supports also...but it that enough? Or do I need a custom cover to do the trick?

Also, is an auto bilge pump necessary?

Thanks to everyone...I've learned a ton on this forum.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Leaving a boat in the water

fresh water/salt water, always and automatic bilge pumps. and a good battery. covering is best,especially for a week, overnight not necessarily, try covering you boat, with it on the trailer with out touching the ground except for dock side.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Along with what td said...over weekends you will probably get away with no bottom paint - just need to keep it scrubbed up when you pull it. Over a couple of weeks, you will see some growth on the bottom - maybe enough to require pressure washer to get it clean. If you're thinking maybe 4 weeks, definitely paint the bottom. Post back if you decide to do that.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Depends on where you are and the water and weather. Everybody knows about fouling from salt water, but fresh isn't so bad. In some places moss and algae will foul it too.

But rain! Around here we get daily summer thunderstorms that can sink a boat. Bilge pump yes. Full cover better.

tashasdaddy

i believe in full cover, and bilge pump, i've had covers come off. when i was a teenager we left our boat beached, the whole summer. sometimes we would go to the lake and find the foot of the motor holding the boat above water. get in pull the plug, and let what would drain. then pull it up some more. till we got it so we could run it with the plug out to finish draining it. this was a 19' Cobia bow rider.

sychan29

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback. I did mean to provide more info, but my mind spaced.

We're on a freshwater lake in Virginia so salt is not an issue. We do get some heavy thunderstorms...that's what I'm worried about. By full cover, are you guy talking about the custom snap on covers? I hear that they will run me $1K for one. That might not be worth it for me. It's just a shame that my inlaws have a slip at the lake and I can't take advantage of it! I told them to get the house with the boat lift, but they ignored me!

What about electrolysis? Is that a big issue? From what I've seen so far, I probably won't leave in the water more than a weekend. Launching and taking it up are a pain, but the other things sound just as cumbersome.

SYC

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Electrolysis exists in fresh water but is so minor that you don't need to worry about it. I like to see the motor tilted out of the water, but thousands of people don't even bother to do that.

Anything to cover it up and shed rainwater and bird poop. And not blow off. And not sag in the center to pool water. Bows, sticks, whatever to hold it up in the middle.

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if you can not afford that cover and only the weekends . living in fla 13 years . first off only on the weekends right . install 2 batterys and a good pump and you should be fine . the cover helps because it keeps water and people out and no fading to the sun. i live in pa. and i leave it in the water on some weekends . good battery and a good pump. is good the summer rains can be bad. but its a boat. as long as you dont have a leak in the boat you will be fine
bob

tashasdaddy

really if it was me, i'd launch on Friday, load Sunday night. i my 18' center console, that is not self bailing, i have 2 independent bilge pumps. the one is the old manual dash switch, the other is a new automatic/manual one is on the starting battery the other the trolling battery, each has it's own thru hull fitting. keep a float charger on your batteries during storing, that way they will always be ready. these work great, i just pull a cord to the boat, and connect these and forget them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42292

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Son just bought a used boat which the owner kept in the yard covered. To keep low spots from forming and filling with water he used a couple of large (30" diameter) beach balls under the cover which did the trick. Something like that may work for you plus the kids can play with the balls.

Mark

flashback

Captain

only thing I might add to all these good replies is a 110v submersible pump with an automatic float switch as additional protection provided you have a source of power at the dock...I have had one in my sailboat for many years just in case...my power boat is in a lift but i do have one of those 50 dollar wally world covers on it and it has been just fine...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sychan, If you have a decent battery and an automatic bilge pump, you will be alright leaving the boat uncovered for a week. It takes quite a rainstorm to fill up a boat. You pump will get most or all of it on a single charge. Lets figure a Rule 1000 Gal/minute pump draws 3A/hr, a 24 series Marine battery has 75AH, so pump can run for 24 hours straight at 1000 GPH. So you can pump 1000x24 gallons of rain water(that's 24K gallons of water).

If this still scares you, put a battery charger on the battery when you leave. Even a tricle charger will work.