learning about outdrives

Len_Rice

Cadet
hello. i'm new to boating (it grew out of my fishing), but it didn't take me long to admire the thru-hull exhaust big block boats roaring out there (as I kind-of scoot along with my volvo OHC 4-cyl penta 270, boo-hoo, sniff-sniff, they remind me of the dragstrip. ). i build chrysler 440's ('69 roadrunner, ,68 coronet R/T, 440-RAM conversion), and love 4-stroke automotive-type power plants. i've read as much as i can get my hands on and have noticed that as far as outdrives are concerned, bravo 1, or some form of it beefed up with aftermarket parts, is the most popular way to go. one thing i can't seem to find..., what is a number "6" drive???<br /><br />also; what book would give me a good description of high performance I/O systems, from water pick-ups to exhaust manifolds? i'm pleased to see that mercury has put out a high horse closed cooling system powerplant out there; i couldn't stand to watch if raw water (strained or not) ran through any motor I built. i'll work for free cleaning marine shops if it means learning! that's what i did with cars and now i buid a new motor at least twice a year!!) oh well, thanks for listening...!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: learning about outdrives

Hi Rice,<br /> the #6 drive is a racing outdrive....<br />Your going to have to learn about Chevy motors.... Mopars are a Dead Horse in the Marine World today....<br /> Parts are Nearly Non-Existant....<br />A great book to check out is Small-Block Chevy Marine Performance by Dennis Moore... he also has a Big-Block book...<br />Surf on over to hotboat.com they cater to the Custom boat crowd...

Trent

Captain
Re: learning about outdrives

How about pushing it with a "Blackhawk" drive.