leaning boat

geaz

Cadet
i have a 1978 18' chapparel with a 1974 johnson 115 on it, and it has a leaning problem. when in the water, the boat leans to one side by like 2 or 3 inches. when driving it it will start off straight but once on plane for a while it will lean to one side but it doesn't always lean to one side. The floor looks to be in pretty bad shape as it has a sheet of plywood screwed to it. I lifted the plywood and the floor has almost completely rotted out. it was a mess under there. It didn't seem to be very wet but there was some dampness. Is it possible that the floor has water in it? It seems to me tat the only thing that could make a boat lean that much would be water. If the floor is the problem, how would i go about fixing it. I am going to sell the bout this spring and was wondering if it would be worth the trouble to fix it. I also noticed tyat the moter seams to be off center by like 3/4 - 1" may that be adding to the problem?<br /><br />thanks geaz

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: leaning boat

Gruvster, It could be the weight of the water causing the lean, while at the dock. While on plane,the lean could also be caused by an untrue hull. From your description of the plywood floor (and under it), I will bet the foam is waterlogged. This is a safety and efficiency issue. Whether you want to fix it or sell it is up to you. It will likely cost $200+ for materials to fix it, plus your free labor.