leaking upper gearcase maybe?

powderhombre

Seaman Apprentice
1982 stringer OMC 800 upper gearcase. did water pump job in spring everything looked and worked good. filled case with clean gear oil from bottom plug till oil popped out top fill hole, too much, I know. So drained a few ounces out, till dip stick showed proper amount. went boating for 4-5 hours. drained the gearcase to check for water as I do after every outing, and only about 2 oz. of oil came out and it did have milky look, but no actual water. drained and filled with fresh and is now stored indoors for winter, no oil leaking on floor. So, where is the oil going, and is it possible that cooling water from the pump is getting into the case, and gear oil getting into engine cooling system?

powderhombre

Seaman Apprentice
Re: leaking upper gearcase maybe?

lets play stump the forum.... no opinions? come on... all you experts out there and no one has a thought on this? lets try and figure this one out!

cr2k

Captain
Re: leaking upper gearcase maybe?

Well if your water pump job was slightly off, i.e. not enough sealer in the right places, missing washer or seal it could be going out through the cooling system.

What you need to do is pressure and vacuum check it.