Leaking front differential.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I recently found out that my front left differential is leaking.:mad: I don't possess the skills or equipment to fix it, so I'm going to have to take it in to a shop. I was just wondering if anybody could provide some insight as to how much I'm looking at? I'm a poor college student and I use my 4WD.:cool:

BTW it's a '01 Ranger 4.0

Thanks for any input!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Leaking front differential.

Just had this done on my '90 Chevy K1500. They had to remove the whole front axle and dismantle it to replace all the seals. I had some other work done at the same time but I believe just that repair was around $350.

rogerwa

Commander

I had this on my expedition a few years back.. they said it was unusual for this to be happening. they offered to fill it for me to replace the fluid until I could decide to have it done.. what do you know, it stopped leaking and its not empty.. Lucky me.

D

DJ

Keep it fillrd, with the "proper fluid" and drive it. Keep tabs on the fluid level.

If need be, that seal replacement is not easy.

Keep it full and drive it.

puddle jumper

Captain

There is a vent on top of the dif. Make sure that it is free and not plugged. If it is free it up and your leek may go away. What happens is the dif builds up presser and finds the easiest way out. The other thing is the is there a leek or a weep. Does the seal have drips coming off it or is the seal just damp. If it just damp don't worry about it at this time.If there is drips "really wet" or running out get it fixed.

D

DJ

There is a vent on top of the dif. Make sure that it is free and not plugged. If it is free it up and your leek may go away. What happens is the dif builds up presser and finds the easiest way out. The other thing is the is there a leek or a weep. Does the seal have drips coming off it or is the seal just damp. If it just damp don't worry about it at this time.If there is drips "really wet" or running out get it fixed.

Ditto. If the vent is plugged it will "blow/leak" fluid.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's definitely a leak. Thanks men, I'll check the vent.:)

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

On a Jeep Grand Cherokee all you have to do is remove the diff cover, scrape the old gasket material off, replace the gasket with some RTV, replace the cover and refill the diff fluid. You may need a LSD additive (also called friction modifier). While you have the diff open clean it up with some brake cleaner also.

**this may or may not apply to a ford diff***

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm pretty sure in my situation it was a case of the little old man I bought my truck from NEVER ran the 4WD and everything just dried out. I've heard you're supposed to run your 4WD every month or so for a few miles.