Leaking Alpha 1 Gen II

JStutz

Seaman Apprentice
Went to pick up the boat from storage yesterday. This is my second season with the boat and had decided to wintrerize it myself with the knowlege I had gained from this site. Even though I thought I did everthing right I was a little nervous about what I would find.<br /><br />After arriving at the storage buiding I noticed a spot of gear oil under the lower unit and oil seeping out of two little holes on both sides of the lower unit. I never noticed these holes before. After hauling the boat home I hooked up the muffs, crossed my fingers, and turned the key. The engine started up quickly and ran great. No leaks from the engine anyway!<br /><br />I changed the lower unit oil before storage last year. The old fluid looked good. I have searched this site and found that I problably have some bad seals. I have never ventured into the lower unit so I plan to take the boat to a reputable boat shop on Monday. I guess my ultimate question is, What do you think caused it to go bad? I Guess it has to be related to the cold but what could I have done diffrent? The irony for me is I was so worried I would have a cracked block, never thought of a leaking lower unit! It's always something!<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Jeff Stutz

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Leaking Alpha 1 Gen II

It could be the Shiftshaft Seal,... Or the Waterpump Seal.....A Pressure Test will show Which is leaking......<br />If it's Leaking,.. Anywhere,..... I send Mine out for a Full Reseal,+ Inspection...........<br /><br />There Isn't Always a Cause,...Sometimes,.. It's Just Time.....

JStutz

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply and the reponse. I have been beating myself up all night trying the think of what I forgot to do last season. Not saying I didn't screw it up, but I will tell my wife it was old age! :p

DHPMARINE

Captain

Jeff,was the gearcase oil level full?<br />If you fogged the engine thru the carb,that could be what you are seeing.The exhaust/water mixture drains out of the holes you mention.If the gearcase is full,it's not leaking.<br /><br />DHP

JStutz

Seaman Apprentice

I checked the level last night and it is low. I just looked outside a minute ago and have a nice spot of oil in the drive way. You would think I owned a Harley! <br /><br />Thanks for the help!<br /><br />Jeff