Leaking Air Floor

Stud man

Cadet
I just picked up a 6 hp Tohatsu and the guy give me the inflatable for a 100 bucks more so I grabed it
The inflatable is a 2004 West Marine - Zodiac RU285HP
it's kinda beat up so I figured I would clean it and see
The boat has an air floor and inflatable keel so I filled the boat , floor and keel up to where I think they should be
The boat holds air great, it's been 4 days and it's just like I filled it, the floor and keel not so lucky
The keel is not bad , a little soft. but the floor has lost a good amount of air. I am thinking there has to be a leak.
I did fill it before I cleaned it with soap and water and didn't see and leaks then. I guess I could try using the bathtub
anyone know how I would be able to find if it's leaking and if so how would I fix a leaking air floor?
thanks for positive imput

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Leaking Air Floor

Spray a soapy water solution on it, and carefully inspect it over and over until you find something. Usually I start at the valve.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Probably a blown baffle. If so it might cost you some scratch to repair. Still probably come out ahead though. Good luck.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Inflate that air mat rock hard, has different and much higher working pressure than tubes or keel, spry soappy water and check for small air bubbles, check air valve for leaks too.

Happy Boating

cledus

Cadet

Many times the airfloors and keels get grit in the valves and leak around the valve. The airfloor is operated at a much higher pressure than the keel or the tubes. The tubes and keel run at 3.4 PSI and the floor is operated at 11.3. This makes patching the airfloor a bit trickier. Getting a good bond on any patches you install is critical on the floor.

Your best bet is to remove the floor fully from the boat and inflate it to pressure. Once that is done check it will soapy water so you can see the entire floor top and bottom.

Good luck with it.

-C

Stud man

Cadet

Well after a good soap bath in the tub I found a scratch on the surface of the airfloor leaking AND 2 pin holes and 1 seam leak in the keel.
I guess I will try to patch them and see what happens, otherwise I am buying a new inflatable

cledus

Cadet

IF you are looking for a new inflatable, Defender has their big warehouse sale coming up at the end of the month. They usually have some killer deals and the largest selection of inflatables you will find any where.

-C

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Usually an air deck cannot be repaired and you end up buying a new one. On an 7 year old Zodiac the cost of the deck exceeds the value of the boat by double.

Stud man

Cadet

IF you are looking for a new inflatable, Defender has their big warehouse sale coming up at the end of the month. They usually have some killer deals and the largest selection of inflatables you will find any where.
-C
That's what I have heard and plan on going up to check it out, thanks

Usually an air deck cannot be repaired and you end up buying a new one. On an 7 year old Zodiac the cost of the deck exceeds the value of the boat by double.

Yea a new floor is out of the question I will just buy a new boat if I can't fix it, it is leaking from what looks like a scratch in a nice flat spot. I am going to try to fix it and see what happens
Thanks evryone for the help, I will keep you posted

Hey GURU any advise on the motor? it's a 2007 Tohatsu 6 HP and looks like new.
I plan on changing the motor oil, gear oil and spark plug before I take it out for a spin
Question - Is it ok to leave it laying on it's side for long periods of time? the manual says you can lay it on the "handle "side but doesn't say if that is just for a short trip or for a long time like storing it over the winter. I was planning on putting it in my dock box at the marina so I don't have to carry it back and forth from home. I really didn't want to leave it on the boat because I just thought it would be best out of the weather. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Sorry to say, but all air decks are completely repairable to new working condition unless fabric is completely dried out, cracked or balloned, we fix some from time to time, air mat sibs are not popular down here, just use proper side (thin) or top (thick) patches on troubled area, cleaning solvents, 2 part glue, correct temp, know what you're doing and save lots of $$ on new one...

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Most manufacturers will say to "try" to repair the air deck...And tell you in the next sentence that when it doesn't work just request a new one. It's amazing to me how one person with little practical knowledge manages to contradict anything that I say....It's almost like they are trying to prove just how stupid they really are:) Stupid is the wrong word...Should have said petty.

Last edited:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

That's what I have heard and plan on going up to check it out, thanks

Yea a new floor is out of the question I will just buy a new boat if I can't fix it, it is leaking from what looks like a scratch in a nice flat spot. I am going to try to fix it and see what happens
Thanks evryone for the help, I will keep you posted

Hey GURU any advise on the motor? it's a 2007 Tohatsu 6 HP and looks like new.
I plan on changing the motor oil, gear oil and spark plug before I take it out for a spin
Question - Is it ok to leave it laying on it's side for long periods of time? the manual says you can lay it on the "handle "side but doesn't say if that is just for a short trip or for a long time like storing it over the winter. I was planning on putting it in my dock box at the marina so I don't have to carry it back and forth from home. I really didn't want to leave it on the boat because I just thought it would be best out of the weather. Thoughts?

It doesnt hurt anything to leave it on it's side. Changing the fluids is always wise....The most important thing is to keep the carb bowl empty between use.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

"It's amazing to me how one person with little practical knowledge manages to contradict anything that I say..

If you are reffering to my post, It's not contradiction, it's skilled reality, that's why you should have a proper service station with certified tecnicians to attend full practice, not plain theory inflatable problems. The attached Certificate will refute how "little practical knowledge you think" we have down here to be on client's side on what we post.

Your statement that usually any air mat cannot be repaired is not cast in stone, in most cases it's dealer's shame and opportunism wanting to take advantage of client's no knowledge to rob him with inpunity, but if sibber wants to throw $$$ to sea during recession time and buy a brand "new" air mat, be my guest...(it's not my money)

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Zodiac Certificate.JPG
    Zodiac Certificate.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 0

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I'm not going to argue with you. However, your experience is practically non existent, your certification is meaningless as the one day or two day class can be passed by anyone and by your own admission, "as we fix some from time to time, air mat sibs are not popular down here", you have little or no practical knowledge. I am just amazed how you continue to challenge me at every opportunity. I have provable experience and you aren't going to find anyone in the inflatable industry who is going to challenge anything I say...Take the hint, know your role and shut up and learn.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I'm not going to argue with you. However, your experience is practically non existent, your certification is meaningless as the one day or two day class can be passed by anyone and by your own admission, "as we fix some from time to time, air mat sibs are not popular down here", you have little or no practical knowledge. I am just amazed how you continue to challenge me at every opportunity. I have provable experience and you aren't going to find anyone in the inflatable industry who is going to challenge anything I say...Take the hint, know your role and shut up and learn.

As always you like to have the last word, sometimes you just don't know what you are talking about, theory, theory, materials have evolved, you are probably repairing 35 years oldies, if 25 years of Zodiac experience repairs is bull, I'm Poseidon. It was not a two day course cigarests and coffe included, was a 3 month certification in France and Spain at Zodiac factories. By the way we repair air mat Zodiacs for the military and civilians and know what we are talking about. You are so childish with your mental tantrums, don't forget to swallow your relax pills...

Happy Boating

Stud man

Cadet

well is bought an inflatable repair kit, cut 3 patches ( 1 for the air deck and 2 for the keel)
followed the instructions and we are all fixed! wasn't very hard, I don't understand what all the fuss was.
1 tip that I got from the boards was to make sure I "weighted" the patches, which I did and it worked perfectly
Thanks everyone for the help
Studman