Leaf spring replacing

cmuzzy

Cadet
Hello my leaf springs are shot. My boat trailers GWAR is 1485lbs. I know with the boat and motor its under that. There is one axle with one set of springs on each side. My questions is what capacity should my replacement leaf springs be. I am not sure if each one is suppose to be rated for the total amount. Thanks in advance for your help.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Leaf spring replacing

Each spring pack should be rated for half the trailer weight. To get springs you want to know the distance between shackles, and the width of the leafs. It is easier to get new U-bolts right away too, as they can be difficult to reuse.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

Go to this website, www.easternmarine.com Although this place may not be in your area, they have a great website and after a little searching you will become more aware of whar you need.

soldier side

Cadet

wifisher; you may be correct on the load rating, but i beleive it is 3x you GWAR for the combined rating on you springs, due to bounce and durability.

robert graham

Admiral

Northern Tools has springs, maybe take old spring with you to match it up for correct load bearing capacity. Better to replace bolts, hardware, etc. Good Luck!