Leaded gas for older engines?

If this is a really stupid question, I'm changing my username and continuing under an alias....<br /><br />Would it be healthier or just doesn't matter to put lead additive in the fuel for, say, a 1970 AnyMake (4 stroke)? I know the leaded gas back in the day was a big issue for autos during the switch because of the valves, but wondered if this applied to 4-stroke outboards as well?<br /><br />***Edited message because Petrol pointed out my lack of specifying 2- or 4-stroke.*** Thanks Petrol for letting me clear this up.<br /><br />Thanks for all your help guys.... and don't laugh too hard.

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Leaded gas for older engines?

If it's a 2 stroke it doesn't need leaded fuel, lead protects the valve seats, 2 strokes don't have valves, so no valve seats, so no need for lead.

LubeDude

Admiral

Werent many back then, but I would think that the gas was pretty much unleaded by then, so the seats should be hardened, maybe not though. It wouldnt hurt anything though.

ZmOz

Captain

4 cycle outboards haven't even been around for a decade. They don't know wat lead is.

Paul Moir

Admiral

The '66 and later Homelite 55hp engines (Crosley engine based) had hardened seats and don't require lead. So if you have an earlier one you may wish to add an additive.<br />There wern't many other 4-strokes back then.<br /><br /> Link for ZmOZ- I think they're funny-lookin. Sorry Bearcat Powered if you're out there.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

And Honda (and others) have been making them quite awhile, too. Honda has made only 4 stroke motors since 1973.