Law Enforcement

txswinner

Banned
Question, I see lots of law enforcement from other parts of La. and even other states. Where do they get jurisdictional authority, were they sworn in as deputies? If not could they face charges for their actions. No saying they should or should not just curious if anyone knows.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Law Enforcement

I heard they were sworn is as state troopers.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

There is a federal law that was inacted last year that deals with mandatory interstate compacts. It allows all peace oficers to carry their firearms anywhere in the US. I don't know if it allows them law enforcement authority or not. I know here in Texas even though I work in one town I have statewide jurisdiction except on traffic.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

The law is HR218 and it doesn't say anything about police powers outside your normal jurisdiction.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

In most states the concealed carry for law enforcement is for their personal protection. I figure that if I am hundreds of miles from home I should not have too many enemies, so why carry. I live with a gun every other day of the year, kind of nice to do away with it.<br /><br />They would have to deputize officers in some capacity. Interstate compacts usually only involve joining states for national security. There would have to be a deputization process and a short educational process to learn the local laws, customs, policy and proceedures, and geography. This part has been criticized on CNN. They said why have meetings, they need to get to work. But at the least deputizing and geography needs to be covered. <br /><br />When they have been deputized then the local liability insurance will cover them for any accidents. They would also have to be authorized in the event of injury or death. Otherwise nobody would pay for medical care or death benefits. <br /><br />Here I am a special appointed deputy state sheriff, appointed by the governer of this state. It gives me authority over drug investigations only since I am part of a local and federal task force. When working that capacity I am under color of the State Police.<br /><br />There would have to be at the least a deputization form signed by each person helping. At least for everyone down theres sake I hope so.

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

I believe jurisdiction probably comes from mutual aid agreements ... I agree to come to your territory if you request it, and state law gives me authority. But that's here in NC; don't know 'bout Cajunland ... ;)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

We have had these agreements for years,way back when the war on drugs was new and the feds actually acted like they cared. <br /><br />Fire departments have had these agreements too for years. But the patriot act makes them popular again. They give authority in the event one is called to help. But if for example I went to assist, the agreement would not cover me. Only those the agreement is signed with.