Launching Wheel For Inflatable Without Transom?

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi there.

I own Intex Mariner 4.

Where I go fishing, I need to set things up in parking lot and bring it down to launch area. The boat ramp is quite busy. The problem is I cannot do this myself.

There are ready made dollies out there. But they all look too narrow in order to support my boat underneath the tube area. My boat's width is 57". I don't know if supporting the boat's weight by the bottom sheet area is a good idea or not. I feel that area is not strong enough when it is not in the water. I think those dollies are made for narrower boats, hard bottom boats and kayaks primarily.

I see for folks who have a dinghy with transom, there are launching wheel option available to purchase from many companies. With those, you can just roll the boat into the water, flip them up and go. How cool is that! And when you come back, you can flip them down and roll it out from the water. That part is actually more appearing for me. If I get one of dollies that you have to lift the boat up on top of dolly, it would be difficult for me.

I looked for some sort of launching wheel for inflatable without transom, but didn't find anything.

I have found some home made dollies on the web based on steel rod axle and pvc pipes. I've been trying to come up with design which somehow allows me to put it on and off from the boat on the water, so the launching would be less of hassle. So far what I came up with is to have very long axle wider than the boat's width. Attach two ropes from near the wheels. Then I tie the two ropes together over the boat. When I want to attach this from on the boat, I can throw this set up in the water from the back of the boat and position it to where I want it to be, then tie the ropes. Possible drawback would be that this would be a long (and possibly heavy?) piece and might not be good to carry with me on the boat. And the diameter of the wheel needs to be big, because the ground clearance would be basically only the half of it. Other idea I am toying with is to use two pieces of wood to make some sort of clamp on type of device to go on the side tubes.

How do you carry your inflatable to the water? Please share what you came up with.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Launching Wheel For Inflatable Without Transom?

DSC081181.jpg

I use dollies. They worked so well last year I simply beefed them up this year with 5 inch wheels instead of 3 inch. Pic above has an 18" wide dollie at stern and 14" wide at bow. If I make a 3rd set I'll simply go with 14" width. Total weight of boat, floor, and motor above pic is around 370 pounds.

Here's a link to a Youtube video of the original dollies last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqYRJaenklw&list=UUyJkz75rFqPH4nKtB0O3L7g&index=10&feature=plcp

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for sharing your set up, Pack Rat!

Is your bottom flat?

Your set up is similar to what I was thinking. My boats total weight is probably like 100lbs. I'm trying to get away with one set of dolly and something lighter. If one doesn't work, I will think about two.

I am also leaning towards wood base solution to give some platform where tubes rest on

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes...one will work for you, and or me for that matter, since thats all you get with the wheels that bolt into the transom. My boat is flat until I get it in the water and untie the dollies (which float), then I inflate the sausage keel.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the inspiration from Pack Rat's set up, I've decided to go with casters as well. I bought a pair of 8" casters from ebay for $30 including s/h. I had wooden stick that I bought for something long time ago. I had left over pieces of 1/2 plywood from my recent hardwood floor project.

One thing I didn't calculate well was the weight. The casters were very heavy. The entire thing is about 18 lbs.

I used the dolly this weekend for the first time. It worked very well. My boat with hardwood floor with two batteries now weight probably around 220 lbs.

dolly.JPG

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good Loop Dad. The Youtube video link shows me bringing the boat up the ramp with 3" casters, I'm sure you could go with smaller wheels if you make a different one...but that's definitely a good price for 8" casters.

I keep looking at some giant plastic dock wheels that run around 43.00 each. If the only way to launch was a beach I know they would work.

Denwa

Cadet

I used wheel barrow type wheels. My boat isn't as beefy (Mariner 4). I used a single dolly similar to loop dads except I had a piece pointing up on each end to keep the boat from moving sideways. (might get rid of those) I then use a quick strap fastened to eyes in each side and strapped across the top.

I found the inflatable tires mean you can use it on rough ground etc. My boat being smaller/lighter I just use a single dolly about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way in.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, I just discovered yesterday that my dolly actually floats too. Since it came out heavy, I didn't think it would float.