Launching a SIB with a utility trailer questions

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice
I need a trailer for my SIB and I have searched this forum and found a lot of useful ideas. However the posts are all older that 3 months and I want to follow the forum rules so I will post a new question. I have looked at the cheap utility trailers available. I have only found one (that is more expensive that does tilt backwards). As I will be launching in salt water, if I buy the cheap trailer 4' x 8' I would not want to submerge the trailer. I do however have launching wheels but I am not quite sure how I would launch if I do not submerge the trailer. Is it proper to back a trailer at the launch and stop before the water and then launch with the launching wheels down? Would this frustrate other boaters waiting to launch behind me? Does it take that much more time? And when retrieving would a winch suffice for pulling the boat up if the back of the trailer does not tilt backwards? I am trying to avoid having to pull the boat up the ramp by hand and loading it in the parking lot as it is heavy even with the launching wheels. My back is what I am most concerned with. Do any of you have experience with launching a boat off a utility trailer at the ramp. If so, I would like to hear how a dry launch can be done. Thanks. I have been on a lot of other peoples boats but for me this SIB is my first.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Launching a SIB with a utility trailer questions

H! I have lived near the central Oregon coast (Reedsport, Charleston) and on Kodiak Island, AK and have owned sib's since 1984. I've used flatbed utility trailers with all. I've launched in saltwater with no ill effects on my trailers. Just be sure to rinse thoroughly and keep up on any starting rust. You can expect 10+ years of use from a cheap trailer by doing so. Also, make sure you use bearing buddys or at least be very anal about purging/greasing your bearings. You should have no reservations about submerging your trailer.

If you decide to just back to the water, flip your launch wheels down and launch that way it should not take any more appreciable time than launching from the trailer. Keep in mind that with a non-tilting trailer you will most likely have to drag the boat off the bed a little before the wheels will contact the ground.

If your trailer does not tilt than you will want to have the plywood carpeted (which will hold water) to prevent wear as you drag your boat off and winch it on. As I stated earlier though, I've had no problems with using my utility trailer and launching from it. The one I have now is 23 years old. I did take the plywood off this past year and put keel rollers and outer bunks on it. (the plywood was water-logged). It was minimal rust that I sprayed with rustoleum paint.

And yes, if you mess around too much on a busy ramp day you will raise the ire of some boaters.

Enjoy your sib!;)

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the worst thing to do at a public launch is not know how to back a trailer up. As long as the method you use is fairly smooth you'll be ok. I don't use a trailer (yet) and just in case you didn't see my launch method here it is on a Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/user/railroadweasel#p/u/19/mqYRJaenklw

It plops right in the water just as smooth too. I tie it off to the dock and untie the dollies and pull them back out slick as snot.
DSC05006.jpg

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

pick up a cheap double jet ski trailer and set it up for your boat .

Chris in Indiana

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found a rather unconventional method that works for me but I'm trying to avoid using a trailer since I just don't have room for another one. I inflate in the parking lot, set my launch wheels up and hook the front tow loop on my trailer hitch ball. Then I put everything in the boat and back it down to the ramp like a trailer and get the back end floating before unhooking the bow. Works great.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After some thought, I figured out how I will launch and retrieve my boat without my trailer wheels even touching the water or use of boat wheels. I purchased a small crane.
My trailer is about four feet in height (box folding type) so I have lots of travel storage w/boat on top. .The cranes are cheaper in the USA but dont have the winch and winch-cable pulleys included.

Anyway, thought this unit might interest you: LINK:
http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/ma...ckup-trailer-truck-jib-crane-1000-lb-capacity

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

After some thought, I figured out how I will launch and retrieve my boat without my trailer wheels even touching the water or use of boat wheels. I purchased a small crane.
My trailer is about four feet in height (box folding type) so I have lots of travel storage w/boat on top. .The cranes are cheaper in the USA but dont have the winch and winch-cable pulleys included.

Anyway, thought this unit might interest you: LINK:
http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/ma...ckup-trailer-truck-jib-crane-1000-lb-capacity

You may want to re-think that... those cranes don't have much length of throw to be able to get the clearance you'd need.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
Actually it'll be more than long enough to pick up the boat and motor from either the rear or the side (nearest crane mount location). It's been measured from all angles including the balance points from the stern forward of the boat. Absolutely no problem, even on boat-launch 45* grades. The only additional item will be a trailer load stabilizer, which this particular trailer came with. Trailer has 1000lbs capacity, 1540 including it's own weight. One of the other reasons for going w/the small crane is that when I remove the boat to store, it must go over a steel 4.5' mesh fence and sat-down.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like it'll work then, but I'm trying to figure out why you'd want a crane to lift your boat off into the water instead of launching from the trailer???:confused:

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, (hope I'm not hijacking the OPs thread), there's a narrow area between the front-side of my house and a steel fence separating my property from the neigbors. My trailer just fits (1-2 inch clearance) so I must place it by hand.

The boat adds four more inches in width so I won't be able to put the trailer at the side w/the boat on it. But since the neighbor is our local post office parking lot, I can edge the boat/trailer at the fence on their side and use the crane to remove the boat and motor and lower it between the fence and my house further back where width is no longer a problem.

I will also be using the crane for specialty loading/unloading heavy inboard and outboard marine engines for transport to rebuild/repair outlets. Hope that answers your question. Sorry to the OP, really no more to add re the crane.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I used to have a cheap 4'x8' folding trailer used for my stand up Kawasaki Jet Ski and one of the original SeaDoo's. (That was before PWC's got up to 10' long and 1,000+ lbs. loaded) I put over 50,000 miles on that trailer until I dropped a heavy weight on the rear and it bent.

They're great. I also believe in bearing buddies, but I would suggest priming and painting the frame with canned Rustoleum and a hardener--after it's assembled. (The paint from the factory is very thin.) They're best planked with 5/4" x 8' pressure treated decking--instead of plywood. It's very strong, and will handle water immersion better than plywood. Forget the carpet.

Harbor Freight and Northern Tool also sell a heavier duty larger version with 12" wheels.

A folding trailer is perfectly suited for immersion in salt water. I'd just wash it down with fresh water as soon as you could. If the trailer deteriorates, dump it and get another.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

OK I broke down and ordered a 4x8 with 12" wheels from Northern Tool. It arrived the day before Xmas and I put it together over the weekend. I was surprised at the care with which it was packaged. There were no scratches or bends. I will post Pics later. For the money I think this trailer will work just fine. Thanks for all your comments. There were sure some creative ideas posted. I need to put some bunk boards on the trailer and I need them to be higher than the fenders as the boat is slightly wider than the trailer. I will need to find some mounting hardware for my homemade bunk boards. Any ideas are appreciated.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought perforated metal strapping from home depot for brackets for the bunks. Here's a couple of pics of my trailer.

DSCF0435.jpgDSCF0436.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0438.jpg
    DSCF0438.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0437.jpg
    DSCF0437.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 2