Lauching a boat solo

richep

Cadet
I am new to boats and was wondering what the procedure is for launching a boat in a typical fresh water boat launch? My boat is 14'. I notice most people have a partner to catch the boat after it is in the water while the driver parks the trailer. Thanks for any help.

brianhayes

Cadet
Re: Lauching a boat solo

I have a 19' boat and I always launch it by myself. What I do it this:<br /><br />1) Unhook the trailer lights<br />2) Back boat into water just enough to get the boat to float but still sitting on the trailer.<br />3) Climb over the front and jump in and start the engine. ( no point in taking the boat off the trailer if it wont start)<br />4) Climb back off the the boat and unhock the bow line ( not sure what it's called but the strap that hooks to the front of the bow)<br />5) Push the boat off of the trailer while using the dock line to hold onto the boat.<br />6) While holding onto the dock line, I climb onto the dock and tie the boat to the dock.<br />7) Go park the truck.<br /><br />To load, I do the revears, and us the dock line to pull the boat back onto the trailer.<br /><br />and use the bow strap to wench the boat back onto the trailer.<br /><br />Hope this helps... FYI... I made plenty of mistakes doing this the first few times.<br /><br />Brian Hayes

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

This tiime of year is a good time to practice as the boat traffic has slowed considerably. Find a ramp that is not busy and practice a few times. I've seen different methods by different people, you'll have to find a method that works best for you. If there are others waiting to launch, let them go ahead, if you are like me and feel rushed, that is usually when I make mistakes.<br /><br />DougV>

richep

Cadet

Thanks for the tips. One problem I see is all the boat lauches dont have anywhere to tigh off. Just grass and mud. Maybe the anchor will keep from floating away?

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would make sure your parking brake is in good condition. I have seen trucks break loose and roll into the water. If I'm going solo I like to try to get it off quickly and smoothly. Get some rope like Brian suggested and pull the boat where you want it. This way you can keep in close access to the brake pedal in case the unexpected happens. Good luck and safe boating.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I've launched and retrieved lots of times by myself with the wife just watching. I'm slowly getting her trained. We can launch in just 5 minutes. This winter I'll teach her to back the trailer in the water. <br /><br />Something I might mention is if you have side rails or something to gauge how far you back the trailer in the water to where its easiest to load so your in the water far enuff so you don't have to do it twice.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

We launched at a place like you described. What we did was take a 2 inch galvanized pole and drove it into the mud as deep as we could go. Of course it was out of the way of the ramp. It seems everyone uses the pole now. Don't have a tie off....make one. ;) :) :cool:

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I always launch solo, sometimes at a paved ramp with a dock to tie off and other times at an unimproved ramp without a dock tie off.<br /><br />1. Purchase a quality rope about 2 1/2 times the length of your boat and tie a spring clasp hook to one end<br /><br />2. Place the hook on the bow eye while neatly rolling up the remaining line and temporary place it on the winch.<br /><br />3. Back the boat into the water enough to float the boat free from the trailer. Give it a good push as you hold and feed the attached line out as the boat floats slightly past the end of the trailer.<br /><br />4. At this point the boat is off the trailer and you can either pull the boat via the rope to the dock or else tie the end to someplace solid on the beach. I purchased a dog tie out that augers into the ground and holds the boat for temporary purposes very well. Costs less than $5.00 at Wal-Mart.<br /><br />5. Park your trailer, remove the line, and board the boat. <br /><br />* If you don't have a tie off and are launching from a beach on a windy day, you may want to also use your anchor to prevent the back end of the boat from blowing around. This can be done by hanging the anchor from the transom tie off and running the line to the front cleat. After the boat is off the trailer and positioned, you can loosen the anchor line from the front cleat to drop the anchor and then tie the remaining slack back onto the cleat.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I launch solo all the time. Here's my procedure: <br /><br />1. Make ready BEFORE you get on the ramp (remove tie-downs, transom saver, transfer stuff into the boat, PUT IN THE PLUG, don't unhook but loosen the bow winch), <br />2. back it in till she floats, <br />3. chock the front wheel of the truck & set the parking brake, <br />4. unhook the bow winch line, <br />5. drive the boat off the trailer & over to the courtesy dock, <br />6. walk back to the ramp, NOTE HOW DEEP YOUR REAR WHEELS ARE for reference when loading, and park the truck. <br /><br />If you don't dilly-dally while your truck's on the ramp nobody will complain.<br /><br />You don't want to block the ramp any longer than absolutely necessary (especially if there's a line), so I always test fire the engine at home on the muffs and warm it up to op temp. If I'm leaving early I warm it up the night before - next morning it doesn't need more than a couple minutes till I can drive it off the trailer.<br /><br />In the winter I open the hatch and crawl out through the back onto the trailer tongue & over the bow.<br /><br />Loading is just the reverse: park the boat at the dock (or beach it) back the trailer in, chock the wheel, retrieve the boat & drive it on, hook the winch line, and pull out away from the ramp to prepare for the trip home.<br /><br />No courtesy dock you'll have to beach it - if no place to beach it guess I would find someplace else to launch when I'm by myself.<br /><br />CHOCK your vehicle if you leave it unattended on the ramp!<br /><br />DON'T FORGET to put in the plug BEFORE you launch.<br /> :) :) <br /><br />Hey PAKev, that doggy auger thing is an excellent idea! I hate not having a tree or anything on the shore to tie off to. I'm getting one today to keep in the boat!

LubeDude

Admiral

I have a bass Boat with a bunk type trailer, it can be a real pain at shallow ramps by yourself as you have to back way in before you can float the boat and waders are a must. I push the boat off, jump on deck, lower the trolling motor and manuver the boat to the dock and tie it off. Then move the truck. Some times, if you dont have a conopy and are driving a pickup, you can,( and i do at times), just get into the bed, crawl over the tailgate and push the boat off that way.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

LubeDude, you should know better!!!<br />Your boat will slide right off the bunks if you lube the bunks.<br />I use wd-40 once a year.<br />Makes it easier to winch back on, too.

LazyJ

Seaman

Whoa, lube the bunks? I'm visualizing one-finger launches here, you yanking our chains?

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here on tiny Malta, we have no lakes but no tides either. The slipways are well-named, so one method for launching involves backing down until the rear wheels of the vehicle are above the waterline, still dry and with traction (few 4x4's here). A rope with a spliced loop has already been hooked over the ballhitch (usually done just before backing down, or before leaving home if you have a heavy outfit). The free end is looped round the trailer, fed back and pulled taut, and the trailer unhooked from the truck. It's an easy job to pay out the rope and let the trailer back itself into the water, using the jockey wheel as guidance. A long light line (2 or 3 times boat length)is often tied to the boat bow and stern, and a helper on the quayside uses this to walk the boat clear of the slipway. The trailer is pulled up the slip by the truck, then rehitched before driving off and parking. No wet feet, and no salt water on the truck. It doesn't go smoothly every time, but that's another story...

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

LazyJ,<br />I always lube the bunks w/ silicone spray. Usually whenever I can remember after I launch, so it can dry before I reload.<br />One finger launching- I wish, but it sure helps when you can't really get the boat to float.

crab bait

Captain

i got a way that is sooo simple it's stupid an i never seen it done by anyone before .. <br />an it's so good ,, other boaters are always praising me when they see..<br /><br /><br />put your anchor ( an rope ) in your truck bed/hatchback/trunk/,ect..<br /><br />back down when the boats's 'wet',, hit the brakes... the boat floats off trailer.. <br /><br />either engage an pull out some ,,or wait to the anchor rope slack stops an engage forward gear of vehicle ,, pull out some so feet don't get wet.. <br /><br />remove anchor from truck bed .. throw down or tie-up,, go park..<br /><br />IT DON'T GET ANY EASIER..!!

nomoe99

Seaman Apprentice

I launch by my self a lot.<br />Here’s how I do it:<br /><br />Prep the boat in the parking lot. Undo winch, tie downs, transom<br />saver, etc. Put in plug!!!!!!!!!!. Connect gas hose and squeeze bulb.<br />get thing loaded from car to boat.<br /><br />I have a 20 foot rope tied to eye of boat. Coil it up on deck of boat.<br /> Hook clasp of winch rope into loop on this 20 foot rope, lock winch.<br />SLOWLY drive onto ramp. Back up till boat floats, then hit the<br />brakes. Boat slides off into water until slack tightens up, then slowly<br />pull up out of water till you can get out and stay dry. Take 20 foot<br />rope off of wench clasp and walk boat over to bank and tie to some<br />object of your choice.<br /><br />Works for me every time.<br />sj

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Crab bait, thats the way I do it also. Like you I have never seen anyone else do it like that. I loop the bow line around winch post, back in untill I see rear of boat start to float, then hit brakes, drop into forward and pull up untill boat starts to move forward. get out of truck grab bow line and walk boat to dock or beach beside ramp. I can usually launch in less than 2 minutes this way.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I don't know why people are afraid of walking in the water. When I launch solo, I always wear sandels and shorts or bathing suit. After backing in, I just walk right into the water and shove the boat off the trailer. If there is no waiting line, I pull the boat up onto the ramp then go park. If there is a line, I tie it up then go park. <br /><br />I do hate to tie up because the few places I have been have tires that are decomposing and leave black rub marks all over the boat. So I prefer to pull it up on the ramp or on the grass so it doesn't get all messed up. Those tire marks are very hard to get off!<br /><br />I do get a chuckle out of the guys who power load, then have to climb over the deck and onto the trailer tounge and into rear window of the SUV. Just take your darn shoes off and jump into the water! It is a lot quicker than climbing around inside your SUV.<br /><br />Real men don't mind getting wet.