Late 90s seadoos the right choice?

I'm a long time boat owner, but I've always wanted a seadoo. Sure I've rented them here and there but for more than 20 years I've wanted to buy one.

So why haven't I? Because I can count the number off times I will use it each year one half of one hand.

So I've been thinking of getting a late 90s gtx. Three seater may help me use it more, plenty of power and all the research I've done says the motor is reliable as you will get, and they are cheap enough that I won't have a bunch of money sitting in something I'm not using.

Yes I know these motors need to be run, I can afford whatever maintenance and repairs come up. I would like to avoid getting stranded in a lake or being unable to repair maintain because of parts availability.

Would love to hear thought I'd others here. My main boat is a Tahoe q3 I bought new in the late 90s.

If you don't think that's a good choice, is there something else you recommend?

alldodge

Staff member
Had a 97 GTX 2 stroke ran great until it didn't. The rectifier burned out then the oil tank developed a crack, then something else, don't remember. But great ski till it wasn't. Got it all fixed and sold it.

Have a 07 GTX 4 stroke and no problems what's so ever, still going strong. Replaced plugs one time, and every other year oil changes because we don't use it much

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Personally I’d rather a Yamaha 2 stroke at that kind of range of skis. Much better built in general. I had a gtx di. Ram well and strong until it didn’t. Seat seal was an issue too. Anytime it went on its side and not righted quickly..it literally tried to sink.
But like any of these 2 strokes of any type…thee most important thing above all…is a strong compression test result. Generally they all need a top end rebuild every 100 hours to keep them away from being a ticking time bomb.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We had a 99 GTX and had so may issues we (stupidly) traded for a 2001 GTX. Both 2-strokes. More stupid we traded for a 2002 4-tec. And then 2 more (a 2003 and 2004) for our kids.

Finally traded for a 2015 Yami High Output. Problem solved.

Easy maintenance, better fuel economy, etc., etc.

Late 90's SDs are good. Just be sure you don't ride them hard and put away wet, and have a master mechanic take care of them.

In contrast, a friend had a 99 Yami and had zero issues with very little maintenance.

Just my opinion....