late 40's early 50's Viking (Gale) info and your thoughts.

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a chance to pick up this motor it is a 5hp twin, Has good compression. (Not sure if it runs)
I can get the motor on trade for a laptop I have circa 2006...not really worth much.

Anyway, What is the parts availability like for this motor? I want to put it into service as a troller on my boat and the odd outing on my 16ft square transom canoe. Any and all comments are welcome.

Here is a pic.
viking.JPG

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: late 40's early 50's Viking (Gale) info and your thoughts.

There are a lot of them still around and being used. They run very well when in good condition. Ignition parts are readilly available, including here at iboats. Carburetor parts, you generally make your own. Fortunately they usually don't need much.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

+1 This particular design of motor was built by Gale Division for bunches of different brand names. Sea King, Buccaneer, Sea Bee, just to name a few. If you need parts for it, you can find most parts from different brand name 5's will interchange. The different brands had their own looks as far as tanks and cowlings, but the powerheads are all pretty much the same and lower units, as well. Like F_R says, if they're in good shape, they're good running motors. I have a couple of these type in my own collection and my '47 Sea King runs pretty good, despite the fact that I had to free it up and clean the fuel ines out first. That little Viking you have pictured would be a nice restoration project, should you decide to go that far with it. If nothing else, it'll make a good kicker for your boat.

Mrx99

Recruit

I am wondering what you decided to do with the 40's late 50's Viking? Ihave a 5hpViking sitting in my basement, model number, C2G7. If you are not going to restore it.... I am very interested, it looks like it is in a lot better shape than mine.
All the best, Mrx