Laser printer Technician for Dell 1600n

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a Dell 1600n multifunction machine that I have used daily for 6 years. I have had zero problems with it until now. My only complaint has been the price of the Dell toners.

Recently started having an occasional paper jamb. Got one today so bad that i had to take the machine apart to get it out. That's when i noticed the damaged, apparently melted, roller on the fuser roller assembly. It seems the assembly can be had online for 160.00 or so, dell has it for 80.00 but is out of stock, go figure.

The dilemma is that the machine that seems to have replaced this one, 1135n, is on sale currently for less than the available online part. Anyone able to speak for the quality of the newer machines. Hard to believe they are as good for 1/3 the money. I paid over 400.00 for the 1600n. Hard to stomach throwing away an otherwise good machine for a simple roller failure. It only comes in an assembly. It seems like everything is disposable these days.

Hopefully there is a tech among the iboats community.:)

Thanks, Joe

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Laser printer Technician for Dell 1600n

I would shop for a used one. It would probably cost less then individual parts

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

We don't have any Dell printers at work, but we've had good luck with with smaller personal printers from Brother and HP. Like most electronics, the prices just seem to keep getting lower. Compare the price of a computer or TV six years ago to what it would cost for the equivalent unit today. When I research a printer for the office I always check to see what the consumables are going to cost. Sometimes a higher priced printer has lower priced consumables, so it's cheaper in the long run.

bassman284

Commander

Well, I have $0.02 worth to offer.

I had a HP 940 ink jet. A little old and slow, but more than adequate for my 50-60 pages a year (seriously). About a year and a half ago, the black ink cartridge either ran out or dried up from non-use. The color cartridge had been out for a couple of years because I didn't bother to replace it the last time they went dry. I checked online and the best price I could find for both was about $36 plus shipping.

Went down to Wally World where they were priced about 39 bucks for the pair. For $48, they had the HP 2050 which was somewhat faster and also had a scanner which I actually use quite a bit. You can also make copies using the scanner which is nice now and then.

The point being, you very well may find that the new printer is quite a bit superior to your current printer for a little less than the online part or a little more than the Dell part. Check cnet.com and you should find some user reviews on the new printer.

Sorry, just the way things are. About 3 years ago I replace an otherwise pretty satisfactory Kenmore washer because the drum bearing went out (well-known problem for that model) and the repair cost was going to be well over half what I originally paid for it. In addition, the repair would NOT address another common problem with the model which would also cost more than half the original price.

kei9th

Petty Officer 2nd Class

we wont work on dell machines even if they are a brand new machine. if you are going to replace with a new machine i would go with a Brother machine. if you go with the Brother laser machines there is a lot of ways to extend the life of the toners and drum units.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We don't have any Dell printers at work, but we've had good luck with with smaller personal printers from Brother and HP. Like most electronics, the prices just seem to keep getting lower. Compare the price of a computer or TV six years ago to what it would cost for the equivalent unit today. When I research a printer for the office I always check to see what the consumables are going to cost. Sometimes a higher priced printer has lower priced consumables, so it's cheaper in the long run.

Well, I have $0.02 worth to offer.

I had a HP 940 ink jet. A little old and slow, but more than adequate for my 50-60 pages a year (seriously). About a year and a half ago, the black ink cartridge either ran out or dried up from non-use. The color cartridge had been out for a couple of years because I didn't bother to replace it the last time they went dry. I checked online and the best price I could find for both was about $36 plus shipping.

Went down to Wally World where they were priced about 39 bucks for the pair. For $48, they had the HP 2050 which was somewhat faster and also had a scanner which I actually use quite a bit. You can also make copies using the scanner which is nice now and then.

The point being, you very well may find that the new printer is quite a bit superior to your current printer for a little less than the online part or a little more than the Dell part. Check cnet.com and you should find some user reviews on the new printer.

Sorry, just the way things are. About 3 years ago I replace an otherwise pretty satisfactory Kenmore washer because the drum bearing went out (well-known problem for that model) and the repair cost was going to be well over half what I originally paid for it. In addition, the repair would NOT address another common problem with the model which would also cost more than half the original price.

I was speaking with a friend that is in charge of purchasing for his dept at a pretty large company. At one time HP had a sale on a particular machine that was cheaper than buying new toners. He made a bulk order for like 100 of them. His boss jumped all over him and than had to apologize when he saw the price per unit. :)

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would shop for a used one. It would probably cost less then individual parts

I was looking at some used machines, prices are all over the map. Probably leaning toward a new one.

Thanks

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

we wont work on dell machines even if they are a brand new machine. if you are going to replace with a new machine i would go with a Brother machine. if you go with the Brother laser machines there is a lot of ways to extend the life of the toners and drum units.

Care to elaborate a little ?
Thanks!

kei9th

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry, i looked up the model and yes we would work on that machine. that is just a re-branded brother machine. with the brother machine that is identical to that the drum units have a clear circular window that can be colored in to fool the machine into thinking it is always full. so you can use all the toner in the unit. with the drum when it says end of drum life you just open the front door, hit menu, (i think) it will ask you if it is a new drum choose yes and you can reuse the drum unit until the copies become crappy. usually 2 or three resets before actually having to replace the drum unit. with the toner if you color the clear window you would get a extra 100 to 300 copies depending on what you are copying. you can also do that with the fuser but i dont know the procedure.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sorry, i looked up the model and yes we would work on that machine. that is just a re-branded brother machine. with the brother machine that is identical to that the drum units have a clear circular window that can be colored in to fool the machine into thinking it is always full. so you can use all the toner in the unit. with the drum when it says end of drum life you just open the front door, hit menu, (i think) it will ask you if it is a new drum choose yes and you can reuse the drum unit until the copies become crappy. usually 2 or three resets before actually having to replace the drum unit. with the toner if you color the clear window you would get a extra 100 to 300 copies depending on what you are copying. you can also do that with the fuser but i dont know the procedure.

Thanks for your input...

The toner doesn't appear to have a window, i have heard reference to a "chip" when researching refilled instead of new toners. I have always bought new with the exception being the most recent one. Not sure if that is related to my troubles??? I looked for and did not see a menu selection for the toner/drum reset you mentioned. Maybe it wont show up until it runs low.

The smaller soft roller in the fuser assembly appears to be almost melted. It was still very warm by the time i got the machine apart. I have reassembled the unit and am using it but the copies are of very poor quality. They appear dirty, but are getting cleaner the more i use it. I have used the "clean drum" function in the menu a few times.

Some of the internal parts have made in china on them, disappointing reality. When trying to find the fuser online it appears it might be made by Samsung? I will likely just buy a new machine. I hate to, as i liked this machine better than the others have owned. I probably wont decide until the weekend when i have some time to go to the local stores to lay a eyeball on them.

Thanks again!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I read that it is a rebadged Samsung as well. I have had poor experiences with the Samsung laser printers. Very good luck with Brother laser printers however.

If you just want a laser printer, I really like my Brother HL-5370DW. It has bigger toner cartridges which makes it more economical than cheaper printers. I have found it is usually more economical paying more for the printer initially to get more capacity. If you use the OEM cartridges, you make up the price difference fast.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I read that it is a rebadged Samsung as well. I have had poor experiences with the Samsung laser printers. Very good luck with Brother laser printers however.

If you just want a laser printer, I really like my Brother HL-5370DW. It has bigger toner cartridges which makes it more economical than cheaper printers. I have found it is usually more economical paying more for the printer initially to get more capacity. If you use the OEM cartridges, you make up the price difference fast.

Im going to check out the brother's. As to that particular model... i need scan and fax.

The large toner was one of the things i liked about this 1600n, 5000 pgs for $70.00.

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Check out the reviews on Amazon for the various models of "all in ones".

I know that for the "Laser printer only", you see the difference in preference between some of the Samsungs vs the Brothers.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check out the reviews on Amazon for the various models of "all in ones".

I know that for the "Laser printer only", you see the difference in preference between some of the Samsungs vs the Brothers.

Thanks,

I have already been checking that out. I'm a prime member. Half of everything i have bought in the past 6 years has come off of Amazon, Lol

They even sell Ford Motorcraft. Sometimes for a considerable savings even though I can get employee pricing locally.

Texas just finished a lawsuit settlement with Amazon, in July we will have to start paying sales tax... :mad:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yes, I am also Prime. We have the same thing happening in CA with the taxes.

I love the free 2 day shipping. Makes it so I don't drive down to the store anymore to buy a $5 item if I am willing to wait 2 days and sometimes only one day for it.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea, its a real life saver at Christmas time :D