Lark III Exhaust Housing Seal Ring

jbright73

Recruit
Hey Everyone!<br />I just bought a little '62 Seamaid 14' runabout with an Evinrude Lark III 40HP longshaft motor. The boat has a 15 inch transom so the previous owner put a chunk of wood on top of the transom to raise the motor a little. I decided to convert it back to regular shaft length and, in the process, have found lots of other things that need to be fixed. I have found parts for most of what I need, but the big, thick, spongy seal ring around the exhaust housing is all falling apart and I can't find replacements anywhere. Any ideas? <br />Also, the cowl is missing one of the neato chrome fins that run horizontally along both sides. I'd like to find a fin or a complete cover.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Jon

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Lark III Exhaust Housing Seal Ring

I don't know when that seal ring was last available. Even if you found one in the original box, it's going to be old, and dryed out. The trouble being, that ring takes quite a lot of stetching to put it back on.

jbright73

Recruit

Has anyone figured out a workaround substitute for that seal? As I understand it, that ring keeps exhaust gasses in the lower part of the housing from rising back up into the powerhead area where they would be re-ingested. Maybe there is a heat resistant material that could be wrapped around the existing ring without removing the exhaust housing from the front exhaust cover.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you could try some neopreane (or whatever will handle the heat from the exaust housing, I'm not sure) rubber. You can get it with a self adheisive backing in a range of widths and thicknesses, and densities. wrap it around the leg where the old seal was, and then fit the leg cover. You would need to get some that is a bit thiker than gap you are filling, That way it will be comressed into place and should keep all the exaust and unwanted water out of the top half of the leg.<br /><br />(now I think about it, I will probably need to do my engine too soon..... thanks making me think of that!)