Laptop looses wireless connection when on battery

harringtondav

Commander
Dell Inspiron 15 3565
Intel 3165 wireless card driver
Nov 2018 new

My daughter's laptop. Her complaint is wireless internet connection drops when she is on battery only. All is well when she is on the charger.

Battery seems fine based on the charge icon.
I've tweaked power settings as best as I can to deliver max power off charger.

Any thoughts or recommendations?. Dell/computer forums are next. Ugh. Solutions there seem like a needle in a haystack.

Thanks, Dave.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Look at Power Saving options. Some shut down certain things down depending on the settings.

Did this just start occurring?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Check power management settings....

If not, good luck... my wife’s laptop disconnects from WiFi in sleep mode then takes an act of god to power back up and reconnect.

Dell changed out the WiFi adapter twice under warranty. Still no love.

Wife wants a MacBook for Xmas

tpenfield

Staff member
Ditto on the power management settings . . . See if somehow a setting for the wireless adapter got changed.

harringtondav

Commander
Look at Power Saving options. Some shut down certain things down depending on the settings.

Did this just start occurring?

Apparently this is a day on issue. I'll give the power saving settings another go. I tried to shut off all battery conserving settings. It seemed to help a little. But eventually her wifi drops.

I'm going to check if Intel has an updated driver.

harringtondav

Commander
Fixed. In "advanced power management settings" I found the settings for the wireless adapter. I changed this to max performance on battery.

It still dropped after a few minutes. So I installed Intel's latest driver for the wireless adapter. Now all is well.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Laptops do weird things on battery with all the power saving or management options. My wife's Dell decided the battery was shot and stopped charging it for some reason. I started pricing a new battery and after choking some, decided to Google and found a fix. Working fine since.

Glad you got it going. Dell has a program called SupportAssist that does cleans files, tunes for performance and check/updates drivers, as well as a few other things. It works well.