Lanyard Switch Question on Mercuiser 3.0L

robsp2000

Cadet
I have a Mercruiser 3.0L 135hp on a 2006 bayliner. I had a few issues last year. On a few occasions after hitting a large wave I would lose power, the engine would either stall out or only be able to run at a little more then idle speed. After a while it would resolve itself. I do remember checking the lanyard switch and toggling it off and on when the boat would die completely. On my last outing on Labor Day we hit a good wave and the boat stalled out and we could not get it restarted. Finally I noticed that the Lanyard switch was in the off position. (I know it's bad, but I do not wear the lanyard or have it hooked up when I drive the boat).

That made me think that on the other occasions when I lost power, maybe the switch was getting loose or faulty and causing the lack of power problems. Am I correct to assume the Lanyard switch provides power to the fuel pump? If so do you think a faulty switch could have produced the problem of the boat dying out? Every time the boat lost power it didn't just shut off, it idled down as if the fuel was turned off, then eventually died.

I'm having it recommissioned for spring and I'm thinking about just having the switch replaced, but wanted to get some opinions before I spent the money.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lanyard Switch Question on Mercuiser 3.0L

if your not going to use it then y not bypass it?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Lanyard Switch Question on Mercuiser 3.0L

If so do you think a faulty switch could have produced the problem of the boat dying out?

Nope,... I'd sooner think it's Crud in the fuel system, by yer story...

I really, Really doubt it's that switch...
But, as noted, just By-pass it...