Landlocked salmon fishing questions

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I've never went salmon fishing and my son just asked if I'd like to try with him, he's never been either.

Here in New Hampshire the season is April 1st to Sept. 30th.
2 fish daily limit. Minimum length 15 inches. Daily bag limit for lake trout and salmon is 2 fish (2 lake trout, 2 salmon, or 1 of each).
Closest and best (huge) lake is like 2 hours away.
My boat won't be water ready until early to mid summer if all goes well.
I was told gear could be medium heavy, 15-20 pound test.
I was also told that during ice out shore fishing can be productive using proper bait.

Is that proper gear?
Is it worth shore fishing or wait for boat?

MRS

Commander
Wish I could help you with this but never done any salmon fishing myself I think there has been a few on here that have. Hopefully they will give you a reply if you go would love to see some photos of the salmon you guys get.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
If we go and are lucky enough to catch any I will definitely have my son snap some pics. He always has his cell phone (I don't own one anymore) and I would be happy to share some pics. ;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you have the right bait and if there are other bait fish in the area you may catch from shore. best if you are on a long pier along the mouth of a river, especially if it goes out to a lighthouse or similar structure.

Grew up on lake Michigan fishing from the two piers at the mouth of the Manitowoc river. Salmon was a 4am fishing event, and it was hit or miss. the Salmon would come in to feed in the mouth of the river in the middle of the night, and start heading out as soon as the dawn was cresting.

we fished both live bait and lures.

Not sure of the lake you want to go out on. however talk to the local marinas, especially those that sell bait and lures. they can get you in contact with folks that fish as well as tell you what is selling.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you Scott for the reply.
Lake Michigan, that's even bigger than Lake Champlain between NH & VT and I'm to chicken to fish that one LOL.

There's actually a few in NH but my son was thinking of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Maybe we should plan a day pre-fishing trip and scout things out and ask locals questions. :unsure:
Would hate to hit shore say around 6am only to find we missed the salmon for the day.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Up here in Maine, in the cold water lakes, 'n ponds, salmon, 'n lake trout are fished by trollin' flat lines with spoons, tandem streamer fly's, or sown on bait from ice-out til early June,.....

After that, ya gotta switch over to lead line, or down riggers to get down to the fish,....

I think you'll find yer lakes to be 'bout the same,....

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you.

I kind of figured the boat would be a key item.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just remember even a bad day fishing beats nearly everything else you could or would be doing. My story and sticking with it!

Outlw36

Seaman Apprentice
Just remember even a bad day fishing beats nearly everything else you could or would be doing. My story and sticking with it!
I saw several people stop believing that last summer while I was catching and they were "fishing" lol .

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I haven't read all the responces. Something that can be dangerous to do is ask another angler what is the best way to catch a fish. Fake news comes to mind. Spring, piers and shinny spoons also comes to mind when it comes to salmonoids, many species of salmon and trout included in tis bunch. I have a 20' with 115 HP and a 15HP trolling boat all set up for spring salmon fishing, thousands of dollars of boat plus thousands tied up in specific fishing electronics and equipment and we will fish from the pier somedays in spring and fall because that's where the fish are. Experience will catch you fish if you follow the tried and tested formula for fishin' success. Location, population, presentation. You must be in the right spot where there are fish and feed them what they want that time of day for dinner. It's simple, go fishin', now.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you!
I wasn't planning on asking any anglers, but instead like bait shops.
I'm trying to get my boat water ready as quick as possible but don't think it's going to make thaw-out though. But at least adding lake trout and salmon to my son and I's fishing in the future would be fun. We have been mostly large mouth bass fisherman with an occasional trout, perch, pickerel, sunfish, etc...

We mostly fished close to home in a canoe concentrating on the shallows. It wasn't just about fishing, it was more about spending quality time with my son and enjoying nature. So many memories we'll never forget; a loon 24" from the side of the canoe, mama bear with her cubs drinking and playing in the water, big old moose walking along shore, Peregrine Falcons dive bombing the lake just above or heads, an Eagle swooping down right in front of us catching a really big bass and flying off with it, etc... I'm hoping we'll have more fun in a power boat, at least it will be more comfortable and easier getting around. ;)

Bondo

Staff member
We mostly fished close to home in a canoe concentrating on the shallows.
Ayuh,..... So long as the wind ain't blowin' like it is today, a canoe can get ya into ice-out salmon, 'n trout,.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thank you!
I wasn't planning on asking any anglers, but instead like bait shops.
I'm trying to get my boat water ready as quick as possible but don't think it's going to make thaw-out though. But at least adding lake trout and salmon to my son and I's fishing in the future would be fun. We have been mostly large mouth bass fisherman with an occasional trout, perch, pickerel, sunfish, etc...

We mostly fished close to home in a canoe concentrating on the shallows. It wasn't just about fishing, it was more about spending quality time with my son and enjoying nature. So many memories we'll never forget; a loon 24" from the side of the canoe, mama bear with her cubs drinking and playing in the water, big old moose walking along shore, Peregrine Falcons dive bombing the lake just above or heads, an Eagle swooping down right in front of us catching a really big bass and flying off with it, etc... I'm hoping we'll have more fun in a power boat, at least it will be more comfortable and easier getting around. ;)
Once you get the powered boat running, DON'T speed up your fishing to go from one place to another. You will miss so many moments like you've posted. Sometimes the slow easy method yields more enjoyment then speeding around trying to find biting fish. Been there and done that too.

Just like hunting, the nature scenes were way better then harvesting any game. And it is always much more enjoyable doing either with family members as well. Just a heads up idea...

beinicedo

Recruit
Go for drift fishing. The gear includes an 8 1/2- or 9-foot rod rated for 15-30 pound line, and either a bait casting reel or a spinning reel. For larger fish, like Chinook salmon, use 20-25 pound line. For smaller fish, like pink salmon, use 10-15 pound line. Use Natural bait like alewives, herring, fish eggs and smelt or artificial bait like spinners, yarn jigs, colorful spoons.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you all for the replies. The info is very much appreciated.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
My son is buggin...
He thinks we'll need a baitcaster, almost like those deep saltwater rigs, down riggers, etc...

I'm trying to explain to him we'll be fine to start with our spincasting gear and about 12-15lb line. Maybe even a dipsy diver which a local sports shop suggested for starting cheap.

He's gone fishing with me most of his life and has the same medium-heavy fast action rod and same reel. We've caught tons of bass, big and small and a few big pickerel with a steel leader. I'm trying to explain that it's all about the fight and playing the fish.

I mean, I'm not trying to tell him to use my life long Diawa ultra-light with 2 or 4lbs line.

I'm not sure traveling to the lakes for 2 trout or salmon a day will become a frequent event. I normally catch and release more fish than I bring home to eat.

How in the heck can I get through to my son that we're not going fishing for MONSTER fish?

Oh yeah, a few days ago my son had to go near the lake to pick stuff up. While we were there we stopped into an open bait & tackle shop. The shop owner said he's been there for about 30 years and the average size of both salmon & trout are in the 3 to 6 (kind of the biggest) pound range. The lake gets stocked but it's heavily fished so they usually don't live long enough to get to big.

aspeck

Staff member
Average laker is 2-4# here, but the occasional 15#er + is caught. Very few are caught from shore, but Raystown is different than Champlain. In early April they are caught in 15-30 feet of water drifting live bait, or trolling or jigging spoons. As the water warms the fish go deeper and by mid-late May are suspended 50-60 feet. In the heat of the summer they can be at depths of 100 feet or more. It is just a matter of locating the schools and fishing there.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Average laker is 2-4# here, but the occasional 15#er + is caught. Very few are caught from shore, but Raystown is different than Champlain. In early April they are caught in 15-30 feet of water drifting live bait, or trolling or jigging spoons. As the water warms the fish go deeper and by mid-late May are suspended 50-60 feet. In the heat of the summer they can be at depths of 100 feet or more. It is just a matter of locating the schools and fishing there.
Thank you for the info!