laminated hardwood cabin sole

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamonddave

Seaman
Has anyone had any experience using Home Depot type laminated wood flooring in boats. I have a 1976 30' Pacemaker and want to install a wood cabin sole, the stuff I saw at Home Depot was laminated to plywood not MDF. I thought this would stand up better. The floor would not get very wet, only when changing bathing suits or getting out of the shower. It is a "floating" system, that is, the pieces are glued to each other but not fastened to the sub-floor of the boat, which is 3/4" plywood in good condition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

flashback

Captain
Re: laminated hardwood cabin sole

Im in the building business by trade and have seen a lot of laminated floating floor systems, and one thing i can tell you is they do not like water.....as a matter of fact, I would't use them in the kitchen of my house although it is very popular these days.. as a matter of fact, Ive had customers ask to put it in a hall bath and I make them sign a waiver to remove me from any responsibility or warranty issues....... It wouldn;t last a week in a boat.........

JHOLE

Seaman Apprentice

Would someone please just tell "Dave" that this would be an excellent idea, he should run right out put this stuff in his boat. <br /><br />This is now covering two posts. So far an installer of this same product, a builder who won't even warantee it in wet locations, and a general contractor/factory certified installer can't seem to bring themselves to give him the go ahead. It would be great if someone could help this poor soul out and give him the o.k. so that he can get started on this project that he is obviously going to do anyway.

f_inscreenname

Commander

From the installer; The floor is designed for damp moping only as for that matter you should never use to much water on any floor as a rule of thumb. As for the lam's and water. In the area you are describing water should not be a problem. There is even Lam's that are sealed from water from the back. Water does not effect it in any way. The only draw back to this and any lam floor is if water does get under it you cant get it out. The next thing is install. I don't know how your lay out is but if it is not a square box you may have problems making it look right. Make sure you can put 1/4 round down anywhere the lam ends (it chips when you cut it and the edges have to be covered and it also holds it down). One more thing. It is a floating floor. How much does your boat bounce around under way? It would suck to find it all piled up against the bulk head after a day trip. There is a lot of good full spread glue down hardwood flooring that I would use instead. That and I think real hardwood looks better.<br /> P.S. I did use a piece of Pergo on a boat once as a gage panel. Looked fine for a couple years.

diamonddave

Seaman

jhole, thanks, I guess what I was looking for was someone to say yes its fine or no you should use this product, after all is'nt that the idea of this forum, to SHARE ideas and knowledge. I guess it comes down to the response I read a few days ago in reply to a fellow boater's question as to whether the boat he bought was good or not, the response went something like - Why do we always do this buy something and then ask if we made the right decision. I was not committed to the laminate, I simply thought it would be a reasonably simple way to freshen up the cabin. By asking the question on this forum, and yes I asked it several times, I got several responses, all that it did not seem like a good idea. . . Interstingly enough however I was at the Toronto International boat show last weekend, climbing around a 33' Crownline and lo and behold, what was the flooring in the galley, laminated hardwood. I guess I asked the question so that someone would either give a nod to the H.D. laminate or indicate there was a marine version available. Sorry for wasting your time, but I use this forum to learn about my favorite pastime and if you simply scan it to ridicule other people so be it.

f_inscreenname

Commander

No one said you couldn't use it. It just has its limitations and as long as you understand that I would go for it if I wanted to use it. Wouldn't be the first time I used something out of a non marine store my boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.