Laminate floor project done (attn:eeboater)

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
I finished up the living room and hallway portion of our flooring project.<br /><br />You can see some before, during, and after pictures of our project here: floor page . If you click the small picture, a larger one appears.<br /><br />We are going to do our kitchen, dining room and laundry room sometime in the near future.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Laminate floor project done (attn:eeboater)

James.. that looks really good. You did a great job, congrats.

eeboater

Commander

James,<br /><br />Looks great!!!! Oddly enough, I was going to post a thread today to see how things were coming along. Its amazing how the whole feel of the room changes post-install of the floor isn't it? I'm still amazed every time I walk in there. I will say one thing tho -- the floor is considerably colder when you walk on it barefoot. And mine isn't even on a concrete slab! So, get out the slippers :D <br /><br />Oh wait, nevermind, you're in Flordia. Duh. You don't have that problem us 'Sconsinites have.<br /><br />I wish my rooms had less weird spots kind of like your big rectangular room.<br /><br />Great job!<br /><br />Sean

ndemge

Commander

Wow, it's a whole new house!<br /><br />I like that pattern.

aspeck

Staff member

Looks great! Congrats on the newe house!

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

It looks great, nice job :) <br /><br /><br />Did you use a chop saw or a table saw? :D

dolluper

Captain

Looks very good, what kind of wood is that? like that colour,it's a floating floor,how did you end up finishing by the fireplace a little strip or flush ? Nice job for sure

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am just getting ready to put in 1100 sq ft of stone tile. That should be a fun job.<br />Great work on your floor dude looks like a pro ( read me) did it.<br />LOL.<br />Later

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everybody for the kind words. The flooring does completely change the look of the house. I'm stoked about it! The advice I got from people here on iboats was quite useful!<br /><br />The wood color is Armstrong's "Heritage Pine" (bought from Lowes). We have a lot of stain grade pine in the house (doors, window sills, door trim, baseboards, etc.) so it was a good fit. We just cut the boards close to the fireplace and still left the 1/4" gap. We then carefully caulked (tinted to match wood) under the bottom row of bricks right up to the boards. It blends quite well to be honest. I was going to put some trim around it, but it looks fine without it.<br /><br />The floor is a little cooler; however, it feels nice now and will be even nicer in the hot sticky months to come. The hallway was the most difficult place to work due to the doorways.<br /><br />I used a chop saw, table saw and jig saw. I bought a 10" chop saw. I would have bought a 12" now that I know that the 10" won't completely travel through the laminate planks. I had to flip the board over and cut the remaining 1.5" or so on every cut. This honestly wasn't a big deal, but would have been a little nicer. It still beat a table saw every day. Having both saws was nice!<br /><br />I'll take more pictures of our remaining rooms as we take time to do them.<br /><br />Thanks again!