Lake Wallenpaupack

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice
Going to spend this season on Lake Wallenpaupack, and was wondering if anyone had spent time there. Any thoughts on the Lake? Tips?

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lake Wallenpaupack

I have a cottage up there nice area. very heavy trafic on the lake on weekends. not to bad during the week days. tough fishing because of boat traffic. Go early in the morning or late at night.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

It's a great recreational lake but due to the congestion on the weekends it can be tough to fish as stated. There are quiet spots you just have to find them. I've got some decent smallouth and largemouth there. Lots of spotted rock bass too. Spent a week there three years in a row now. You'll have a good time if you're there all year.

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had some nice times up there 40 years ago!

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I also go there occasionally. I bought my boat there at Bakker marine. Lots of traffic on the weekends but the Lake is plenty big enough to dilute most of it. Lots of big smallmouth there. Fishing on the Pak really comes alive at night. Most folks fish for Walleye and Stripers at night. As a matter of fact, there are tournaments every Sat. throughout May & June that are conducted from 6PM until 3AM. I plan to fish a few this year.

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

I have heard that the lake can be a nightmare on the weekends? Anyone verify that? And how bad is it?

PAkev

The public launch on the North end of the lake fills up very early. Throughout the summer there are many fishing tournaments that launch from there early AM. Therefore, remaining parking space is usually marginal at best. Also the 4 lane ramp often gets a bottleneck as novice boaters find many innovative ways to load and unload their boats. If you don't mind camping, you might want to check out the Ironwood campground which will afford you the ability to launch your boat and take the trailer back up to your campsite.<br /><br />As far as being a nightmare, that depends on your expectations. Yes, there are indeed lots of people and lots of boats. If you like tying up with other boats to share the persuit of fun and hapiness then you may find enjoyment of the higher activity level. However, if you want to spend a day to reflect on the beauty of the outdoors, a weekend on the PAK will probably be very disappointing. There are sections of the lake that receive more traffic than others so familiarizing yourself with the lake can help you prepare how to use it that best meets your personal lifestyle preferences.

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

thanks Pakev; I actually have a slip at Capri MArina(the chaparral dealer) on the west side of the lake so I will not have to deal with launching the boat. I will enjoy the beauty of the lake during the week and the fun hectic on the weekend. I enjoy both aspects of boating. thanks again for the info.

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone been out on the Pack this season yet? How has it been>?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Is it loaded with grass and weeds?

PAkev

Weeds usually don't become a problem until they (PP&L) begin letting the water level down throughout the dry season which is usually July & August.<br /><br />More importantly....Be very careful boating on the southern end of the lake in the Ledgedale area. There is a lot of timber still floating in the water from this springs flooding. I fished a tournament there three nights ago and wacked a few. Thank God for Keel Guards.