Lake Trout!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Bait Me

Cadet
Is there anyone out there who has fished for Lake Trout who can give me some tips? Are they really that hard to catch???

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Lake Trout!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Sewn on smelt on the bottom. If trolling go less than 1mph dragging bottom with spinners and smelt. Works on Sebago.

Huron Angler

Admiral

We always trolled using downriggers almost bouncing off the bottom, with dodgers and squid or spoons.

Troll slower than you would for salmon, and be careful, their swim bladder can rupture easily on the way up if you are fishing deep water. It kinda ruins the fight and feels like reeling in a log when that happens.

Look for clouds of baitfish on the sonar and troll thru those areas.

Bait Me

Cadet

We always trolled using downriggers almost bouncing off the bottom, with dodgers and squid or spoons.

Troll slower than you would for salmon, and be careful, their swim bladder can rupture easily on the way up if you are fishing deep water. It kinda ruins the fight and feels like reeling in a log when that happens.

Look for clouds of baitfish on the sonar and troll thru those areas.

Is it true that they can be caught almost at the surface (within 10 feet) just after Ice Out? If so, how long after Ice Out is this true? Until surface water temp is within comfort zone (mid 50's?)?

Bait Me

Cadet

Have either of you used a set up consisting of a three way swivel with a 4 ft length of monofilament to the bottom end to which there is a 1-2 oz weight, another 4 ft length of line for the lure, the third swivel attached to rod? I've seen this set-up posted online at a few sites. I beleive it is in lieu of a downrigger. I have a downrigger that I have used only twice. But the above described set-up sounds easier to manage. perhaps it could be used in conjunction with a downrigger. What about equipment using a downrigger, does the type of rod or lineweight lend anything to successful fishing for Lakers? I don't get much time on the water, so I want to do everything that I can to be successful.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I never fished that early in the year for Lakers, not sure. Also I fished in Lake Michigan and Huron, not inland lakes that get frozen over.

I bet Mark VT fisherman would be able to tell you, he trolls for trout and salmon in your area. He should be around here in a while with some advice for ya.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What we generally do on Lake Erie is use downriggers. I use two Bigjon downriggers off the back corners mounted in the gimbal mounts. Here is a pic of the set up of the boat.

DSCN0398-1-1.jpg

If you look to the right side you will see the downrigger and my stackers. The other side is my walleye set up for in-line planner boards. For downrigging I run Scotty release clips. Oe right to the eye on the fishy ball and a stack per dwn rigger. I tend to run orange colored spoons in the 3" size range. Thinner the better.

If you want more specific info on how I set up and run just asked. I love this type of fishing almost more than the admiral!!! LOL I'm no expert but like to fish every chance I get.

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

i use to troll for them behind a kayak using a rig and a shiner. tie a 3 way swivel to your line, and a tie a 2 foot line with half ounce drop shot attached to the bottom part of the swivel and then tie the shiner i use medium large size in between the two with a 18" section of line and troll slow

vhuevos7

Seaman

Just the other day read a bullitin board at Sportsman warehouse where a decent sized Laker was caught by jigging. I myself troll as slow as possible with spinners.

fishrdan

Admiral

Is it true that they can be caught almost at the surface (within 10 feet) just after Ice Out? If so, how long after Ice Out is this true? Until surface water temp is within comfort zone (mid 50's?)?

I go to a lake every year just after ice-out for macks. This is probably 2-3 weeks after the ice opened up as they won't allow boats until the lake is ice free, mid-May. At that time the macks are up high and I have caught them running surface gear. Caught a 24#er right before dark dragging bait really close to the weed line, I think I was actually over the top of the weeds when she hit. At this lake the macks will go shallow and up into the weed beds when the temps are right, not the normal fishing open water with down riggers.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Like most other fish,lake trout go where the food is.After ice-out you will find them up high and close to the shore usually nearby the outlet of a creek or any other place that provides slightly warmer water which attracts bait fish.
That being said,if your fishing spot has springs,then that is where the warmer water and bait will be found so they may well be 100 feet down next to the spring source.
The comfort zone is a combination of food and temperature, preferably on the back side of an underwater hump so the fish can lay under a current and wait for lunch to float by

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Another thing that gets the odds in your favor is trolling leadcore line at 1.6to 1.8 mph using life shiners or smelt.The life bait neutralizes the speed limitations that that you have with artificial bait and by speeding up and slowing down you can bring the bait up and down in the column.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Ever try jigging for them. It works good in the lakes in the Northwest. The key is staying over top of them after you turn your motor off. On a calm day, you find them on bottom with your fishfinder, stop over them, making sure they are still there, andbounce your baited jig off the bottom 4 to 6 ft high. The trick is to stay over them. You can use portions of most trash fish, or guts as bait. most anything fishy. Again the trick is staying over them and not drifting. you have to keep checking your fish finder. Works with ice fishing too, I am told, when you can get out deep enough to get over them, I usually find them at about 200 ft + in the early to mid spring, on bottom, and deep near bottom in the summer and fall.

j.4knee

Seaman Apprentice

+1 on the lead core recommendation. We'll be heading to the eastern sierras in a few weeks doing exactly that!

Jig Stick

Recruit

lake trout like this? caught 8 like this over memorial day weekend on erie.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Take me with you next time. I've caught a few, but nothing that size. I think about 10 to 12 lbs, I never weight them. I need to get back to fishing for them, I didn't go even once last year.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

lake trout like this? caught 8 like this over memorial day weekend on erie.

If you can get them that big on the Eerie side of the falls you should come over to our Ontario side and fish the Niagara River in early spring with emerald shiners. Then you will start getting some bigger ones pretty high up in the column (25 feet) and at that depth they fight so hard that you might mistake them for a steelie or a king