Lake Shasta House Boats

tr4a

Cadet
Anyone ever rent one of these? We're considering a family reunion/wakeboarding/water skiing vacation this summer. I would love to hear your suggestions or experiences. Thanx.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lake Shasta House Boats

I have. Houseboats are our favorite family vacation. Where are you located? I liked Shasta, but found it small in comparison to what I am used to. I also didn't like the shore mud. I prefer typical sand beaches, so we usually go to Mead. If it is an option, Lake Powell Houseboat should be on everyone's bucket list.

Oh, if your group has any conflicts when together, a houseboat trip will magnify it 10x ;)

tr4a

Cadet

Hey, thanx for the reply. We'll be coming down from Eugene, OR, so Mead would a bit far.

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK, so Shasta sounds like the place. As long as your group is compatible I am a HUGE proponent. And my Shasta opinion needs to add in a couple of things. I loved the scenery, and I love the Alpine feel. It rained most of the time I was there, but it was a freak storm, so can't take that. There are quite a few different places to rent. If I recall correctly, I liked Antlers if I was going to go again, but I have no idea, and didn't Google who is in biz now. This was a LONG time ago.

A good thing about size, is that trips to the Marinas for ice and fuel etc. is very quick. This is a major cost in itself on Mead and Powell. Tow your boat behind. Board and water ski whenever it glasses off. Pretty dang good :)

rokrau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, Definitely a huge thumbs up here.
Went there over the 4'th this year, 5 days - 5 different arms of the lake. Water smooth as glass and 95+ degrees.

We rented from http://www.shastalake.net/ and the experience was great. Because the boat we booked was free the night before they let us arrive early and sleep on the boat in the marina. We left our tube and the harbor master shipped it back for us.

Shasta is beautiful, there are natural water slides and caverns you can visit to get out of the heat for a little while. Having little destinations like that makes it an even better trip.

Couple of tips:
Costco and TJs are in Redding. Shop before you drop.
Bring an air matrace and sleep under the stars.
Make sure your crew is compatible, really compatible :)
Bring enough toys (ski-boats, jet-skis, but also swim rings and floaties)

We are coming back next year.
Roland