Lake Shasta- Best Beaches & Coves

rrjoy11

Recruit
Hey a group of us will be at Lake Shasta next month (July 19-26) can anyone provide me with there opinion on what are the best places for beach day camping via your boat or just and hanging out in coves on Lake Shasta?

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lake Shasta- Best Beaches & Coves

Ive been curious about shasta as well, has anyone gone there before? QC maybe? it looks pretty big, over 300 mi of shoreline.

AZSeville

Seaman Apprentice

Great lake, been there a few times house boating with ski boats. The last time I was there was before 9/11, but if there still doing it, take the tour of the dam. It was free when we went, and it was very good. Did you know that Lake Shasta dam has more concrete than Hoover?

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Been to Shasta many times and is my favorite lake. The problem with asking about a favorite cove or beach is that the shoreline of the lake changes drastically with the level of the water. Coves and beaches come and go not only from year to year but from month to month and even week to week. As the water lowers, islands, shallow land bridges, and beaches appear. Areas that were once coves become inaccessible by boat. You see the lake is a fresh water reservoir that provides water to the cities and farmers south of it and through the summer the lake keeps going lower. Even at its lowest level though it is still a huge lake. It is fed by 3 rivers that form 3 arms, the Sacramento, McCloud, and O'brien I think . Never can remember the name of that last one. I like that it is a little different every time I go there and always new to explore. Also, like that during the day in the Summer, I can chose to swim in either spa temp water by going up the Sacramento arm or the cool water in the huge main lake area near the dam. Takes about 3 days to fully explore the lake. There are multiple marinas with gas, rentals, gift shops, and places to eat around the lake, although a few become inaccessible later in the summer. Bridge Bay is about the biggest and I highly recommend a stop there. Sugar Bear is another. Our favorite trip we stayed in the Sugar Bear cabins that include a free boat slip. Sure enjoyed being able to leave the boat in the water the whole week. Even if your not staying there they will for a fee, store your boat trailer for you. All the marinas also rent slips of course.

Well, enjoy your trip. I only wish I could afford to go this year. May find a way to get there for a weekend I hope. Need to christen my 'new to me' and newly restored boat on the lake. It's a tradition. Restore just won't be complete without some of Lake Shasta's red mud on my trailer tires and on the boat.

-- Jeff

PS. Don't forget to carry a spare prop with you. I did mention the water level changes things even during a week's stay didn't I? If renting, be sure to get prop insurance.

craigman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live about 4 miles from Shasta Dam! Takes me about 1/2 hour to load the boat up, get gas, soda, ect., and be in the water! I love it!

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I've houseboated there, but it's literally been 30 years. I believe we rented out of Holiday Harbor and usually headed up the Squaw Arm. Like Jeff said above about the water levels is very true. Out of the 3 times we HB'd there the levels were drastically different. One year we would be up by the trees, near a waterfall and the next year we would be down 100 feet.
What a beautiful lake it is though. We 4 wheeled there about 3-4 years ago while we stayed at Sugarloaf when the water was down, then rented a patio boat for a day and went a little past the bridge.
Sorry I'm not much help, but you'll definitely have a great time exploring for the first time nevertheless. It's an awesome lake.