Lake Powell in August

Rickfifty

Seaman
I'm planning on dragging the wife to Powell. I know it will be hot, but August is when I get vacation time. Don't want to pay $5000 for a houseboat rental so we're thinking of hauling the pontoon boat out there. Is it feasable for two people to stay out on the lake, away from the marina's, for 5-7 days or so? Which is the best (slowest) day to arrive? Depart? Best methods to keep things cold for that long? Any suggestions on a good, quiet location? I have more questions but I wanted to see if I could get some responses first. Thanks.
(I tried the search, but it didn't help much.)

KRS

Banned
Re: Lake Powell in August

128 quart white coolers, hard frozen block ice, towels to keep the sun off, open lid sparingly.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Which Marina or ramp are you launching from?

Rickfifty

Seaman

OLDSPUD said:
Which Marina or ramp are you launching from?

Not sure yet. I'm coming from Ca. but don't mind going to a further ramp if it's a better place to start from. Suggestions?

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd look at the nearest Marina, might be Waweap, nothing wrong with that. I go to Bullfrog. I know very little about Waweap. The Bullfrog ramp is best probably every weekday morning except Friday. Try not to launch on Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

If you don't camp close to a Marina where you can get Ice every day or so, then what has already been suggested would be best. I like smaller coolers for convience.

It will be very hot, the water will be awesome, like bath water, but refreshing.

Lots of pontoon boats on the lake, never been on one but could be very neat to tour around in.

Get a map of the area where you launch, their are mile marker bouys in the channel so you can keep track of where you are.

You'll love it, and become a Lake Powell fan, only takes once, imagine the grand canyon full of water.

The lake is still down about half, but it doesn't matter, you could go up the San Juan arm, never tried it but always wanted to.

You could also get up to Rainbow Bridge from Waweap, there is a Marina just south of Rainbow called Dangling Rope. Depends on the range of your boat.

Hope someone else can help you with Waweap, but I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Spud

anyfishlldo

Seaman

I agree, a 'toon can be great on Powell, just watch out for some of the rougher spots (Antelope Narrows comes to mind). I've never been that far southwest from Bullfrog as you'll be, but I can't imagine it's too different.

Like everyone said, lots of ice or the means to refresh your supply, a good shade canoppy for your campsite and a bimini (or equivalent) for the boat are a must.

Buy a map for sure, you should be able to preliminarily scope out some campsites, especially if you get a good topo map. Any place that has a nice flat beach is good, sand is better. Don't bother looking for a treed site either, there are no trees to speak of.

Have fun!!