Lake Erie Fisherman rescued today

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I found this interesting.<br /><br />LUCAS/OTTAWA CO. LINE -- Warm temperatures and changing conditions caused a section of ice to break away from the shore on Friday, trapping 19 ice fishermen out on an ice floe in Lake Erie. Rescuers were first called to the scene around 11:00am off Crane Creek State Park in Ottawa County.<br /><br />Rescuers from Jerusalem Township, Allen Township, Lucas County, Ottawa County, and the cities of Toledo and Oregon were all called to the scene. The Coast Guard says guardsmen from Coast Guard Air Station Detroit, Coast Guard Station Toledo, and Coast Guard Station Marblehead assisted.<br /><br />The Coast Guard says its crews were able to pull 10 people from the ice. Local rescue agencies brought another 9 to shore. They also rescued one dog. No one actually went into the water.<br /><br />Rescuers say the ice floe was about 10 miles long, stretching from the Davis-Besse Nuclear Power Station all the way to Maumee Bay State Park.<br /><br />News 11's **** Berry says he could see two boats from Jerusalem Township and one from Oregon plucking people off the ice, and bringing them to shore one-by-one. Helicopter video from the scene also showed rescuers bringing that dog to shore. From the air, you could also see the equipment left behind, including ATV's, coolers, and fishing gear. By about 1:15pm, everyone was off the ice.<br /><br />Helicopters searched the lake and shoreline Friday afternoon to make sure no one else was trapped. There were no reports of any missing people, according to the Coast Guard.<br /><br />News 11 Climatologist Dave Carlson says there was almost no wind overnight, but as the morning progressed, the winds started from the south and southwest. That helped break up the ice, and push it away from shore. By 12:30, winds were blowing at about 14 to 15 miles per hour.<br /><br />Berry said he could see at least 25 rescuers from various departments on the scene. He talked to Sam Brown, who was fishing on the ice earlier in the day. Brown said he was out Thursday night on the ice, and saw warning signs that it was starting to become unstable, so he stayed on shore.<br /><br />Another fisherman that Berry talked to said he drove all the way from Indianapolis to fish on Lake Erie, but left the ice surface when it started to break up. He was able to get all his gear off the ice before it was too late.<br /><br />The ice was about 8 inches thick where it broke. Ice fishing is popular on the lake and draws anglers from all over the Midwest, but shifting winds and warming temperatures have caused the ice to crack on numerous occasions. The Coast Guard rescued about 20 stranded fishermen two years ago and another 20 anglers in 2001 only a few miles from where the rescue took place on Friday. <br /><br />According to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Crane Creek State Park is in an area of freshwater marsh, and sandy beach. ODNR's web site says the coastal environment is home to more than 300 species of birds, including herons, waterfowl, warblers, gulls and bald eagles. ODNR says fishermen often go to the park to fish for walleye, yellow perch, bluegill, crappie, white bass, channel catfish and freshwater drum.<br /><br />The park is located on 42 acres, about 15 miles east of Toledo.<br /><br />The Coast Guard recommends a certain strategy when venturing out on the ice. It follows the acronym ICE:<br /><br />Intelligence – Conditions can change quickly. With temperatures above freezing and shifting winds, conditions can quickly become unsafe. Before heading out, know the weather and ice conditions, know where you are going, and know how to call for help. Never go out alone. <br />Clothing – Cold water can quickly impair a person’s mobility if he or she should fall in, which can then result in drowning. Have the proper clothing to prevent hypothermia. Wear a waterproof exposure suit and a life preserver. <br />Equipment – have the proper equipment. Carry a GPS, to give your exact location. Carry two ice picks or screwdrivers, in case you fall in. Use these items to dig into the ice and pull yourself out. They are more effective than bare hands! Carry a whistle or noise maker to alert people that you are in distress. Carry a cellular phone or marine band radio in a waterproof container so that you can call for help if you come across trouble. <br />Hypothermia becomes the greatest danger after falling through the ice. Hypothermia begins to set in quickly as the person’s body core temperature drops below 95 degrees.<br /><br />These tips from the Coast Guard may help increase a person’s chance for survival, should they fall thought the ice:<br /><br />Devote all of your efforts to getting out of the water. Act quickly before you loose full use of your hands. <br />Don’t take off your clothes. Instead, button, buckle, zip and tighten collars, cuffs, shoes and hoods. If possible, cover your head – in cold water about half of heat loss comes from the head. <br />Don’t try to swim, unless it is to a nearby boat or object you can climb on top of. By releasing the warmer water between your clothing, and your body sending “warm” blood to your extremities, swimming can cut your survival time by as much as 50 percent. <br />Even if it’s painful, remain as still as possible. Intense shivering and severe pain in cold water are natural body reflexes. These will not kill you, but heat loss will.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lake Erie Fisherman rescued today

Proof that man was not meant to walk on water?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

But with the winds picking up, they could have done some trolling.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I wonder if one of them was KaGee? Was he talkin about fishn? Did he have an ATV? Ah, he's smarter than that....I hope. :eek:

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> I wonder if one of them was KaGee? Was he talkin about fishn? Did he have an ATV? Ah, he's smarter than that....I hope. :eek:
Darn right I am! Like JB said... man was not meant to walk on water... frozen or otherwize. I'll be content to do my fishing from Spring till Fall thankyouverymuch.<br /><br />This thing happens at least once every year. You'd think these guys would learn. Lake Erie never freezes completely over. Break offs are always a possibilty.<br /><br />SBN... Yep, the Coast Guard makes them leave everything. ATV's, cars, trucks, equiptment. Wait till they see the salvage bill! EPA won't allow those vehicles to just sit there.

KaGee

Admiral

Well guess what.... they plucked a few more off the ice again yesterday... just to the east of the last bunch. Will these boys ever learn??<br /><br />Maybe they can get Chris Rock to host the Darwin Awards this year..... :p

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

It sure is cheaper to buy the fish than it is to pay for the rescue. I like to fish and I like to boat, both must be done at the same time! <br /><br />Hey KaGee, you gonna make it down to Grayson Lake in September? Just curious. I'm planning on it for sure this time.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and they said todays rescue cost the US taxpayer about 45K :) <br /> I could buy a few walleye for that.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

rodbolt, for that you could buy a new truck and boat and go where the water isn't solid!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if the water is solid its way to cold to fish. time to eat chicken :)

D

DJ

I grew up in Michigan.<br /><br />The "idiot" parade never ceased to amaze me.<br /><br />I say, "let em' sail" on an ice flow.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> and they said todays rescue cost the US taxpayer about 45K :) <br /> I could buy a few walleye for that.
No doubt!<br /><br />I don't think they can charge back anything to these boys other than the costs to salvage any vehicles left behind.