Lack of courtesy/complete ignorance from powerboaters (rant)

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Ok it's rant time...<br /><br />Spent the weekend out on the boat ironing out a few teething problems etc, did some fishing etc. Generally an absolutely glorious weekend :) <br /><br />One niggle is getting to me though.<br /><br />WHAT IS IT with bowrider owners and BIG powerboat owners that makes them think that they can be complete A-holes with impunity?<br /><br />In Poole harbour you have to leave via a 200yd wide harbour entrance with a chain ferry across it.It's a 10 knot limit and a no-wake zone. While coming up to the chain ferry a BIG Sunseeker decides to overtake us within 20 feet-He's doing at least 20 knots and his wake almost comes over our starboard side-then cuts 20 feet across our bows. We're doing 10 knots at the time and he's been able to see there isn't room to overtake us for at least 1/4 mile. I can't make any kind of evasive manoevre because there's 2 other boats on our port side and 3 boats astern of them. I had to throttle down and wait for the chainferry to cross-as did the 2 other boats he cut up.<br /><br />2nd rant-On the way back to the ramp EVERY bowrider owner I saw came through the narrow channel at 10 knots, creating a BIG wake and smashing sailing yachts against the metal pontoons they were moored to. Everyone else I saw slowed down til there was no wake.<br /><br />Rant over.<br /><br />Hats off to the guy in the RIB who saw we were drift fishing though-and slowed from the plane so he didn't hit us with his wake. Much appreciated!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Lack of courtesy/complete ignorance from powerboaters (rant)

It is always amazing to me how some handle their boats without respect for those around them. I don't know about the UK but here in the states A holes are equal opportunity. Much of the problem is the lack of required education, and an overall high number of boats compared to the number of lakes and boating area's.<br /><br />I usually chock it up to the belief that their time is more valuable than yours, so they can cut you off, create damaging wakes, and generally ignore the standards of courtesy. The problem with this is we will end up with regulation like we do on the highways, as opposed to self regulation with some kind of enforcement body. Seamanship is a reward unto itself, and some just don't get it.<br /><br />Hang in there and enjoy your boat while the season is upon us!

Stratosfied

Ensign

Very well stated 94! and Amen!

KaGee

Admiral

This stuff always seems to happen when there is nothing convenient to fling at the S.O.B. making an a.z.z. of himself.<br /><br />In Ohio, you can always record his numbers and report to the authorities. What they do about it.... who knows... but it does release some frustration.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Nos4r2<br /><br />It's that holiday time of year when the Birmingham navy descend on all south coast harbours. You have to remember that they haven't got a brain between them and they only have 2 weeks to burn a years worth of fuel.<br />When I used to sail out of Plymouth we did not launch unless the police boat was arround, it was the only time you could get out of the Catwater safely

D

DJ

The very same people will cut you off in traffic with a cell phone growing out of their ear.<br /><br />Money is NOT necessarily a sign of intellegence, especially COURTESY.<br /><br />As said before, "people are people". <br /><br />Jerks abound.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

People like Mr. Sunseeker are lucky folks like me don't have .50 cal machine guns mounted on the bow...... :mad:

KCSteve

Cadet

Hmmmm In our local lakes fishermen can be the biggest pain next to jet skiers. Fishey boats trolling or anchored right in the middle of narrow channels. sometimes so thick you can't hardly get through. Or if they see you sking they like to sit right in the middle of the area your sking in then give you dirty looks if your wake rocks there little boats. And then theres the guys with there 50k bass boats that like to fly past you at 80 mph 50 ft away. I recently observed a near tragedy. A new boaters van went into the water with children in the van. There were four groups of fishermen at the boat ramp and none of them did anything to help. Other people BOWRIDER owners helped the kids out of the water gave them blankets ( water was cold ) And delayed there boating to make sure everone was okay. Fishymen hurried and left had to get on the lake they might miss the big one The point is that bow rider owners are not the only people out there that are rude and inconsiderate and money has nothing to do with it. Go to the lake and you get to see the good, bad, and ugly in people. Oh by the way I do love to fish.

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Nos4r2:<br />Hats off to the guy in the RIB who saw we were drift fishing though-and slowed from the plane so he didn't hit us with his wake. Much appreciated!
On the opposite side of this, my dad likes to try to cast a lure across the bow of a boat if they come speeding by while we are fishing.<br /><br />Once while he was fishing off shore this boat and skier kept coming by really close to the lines of the fishermen. Dad finally had enough and added a few extra weights...next time by he cast it out and the line went between the boat and skier. The driver cut the engines and then turned the boat to come into shore after my dad. All the other fishermen along the shore started towards my dad as well, picking up rocks, sticks, etc. They were coming to protect him and kick the ---- out of the driver. Needless to say, he turned away, picked up his skier and didn't come back. :D <br /><br />He and I were fishing last week and he tried to cast a few lines out to the boats and jet ski's speeding by. I resolved to just giving them the bird. (One lady thought I was waving, so I gave her two of them!)

Is that what you call combat fishing?<br />"Blessings upon all that hate contention, and love quietness, and virtue, and Angling." Izaak Walton:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have noticed that around here (NJ, NY) there are more idiots on the fresh water lakes than on the bays. I think the folks on the bay take things a little more seriously and follow the rules better. I only had one inconsiderate boating experience (yach owner) on the salt, but lots of nuts out on the lakes.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I'm training my dog to swim over and take a dump on their anchor line at night....