l-drive motor interchange

jokey1

Cadet
Hi guys. I have a 1990 l-drive B verion motor.<br />I just bought a 1989 (i think) force 125 outboard motor for 300 bucks. I got the motor cheap because there was a 1/2 inch hole on the block. The guy I bought the motor from told me it got there because they mounted it on another boat and for some reason someone did not tighten it. When they put in reverse it fliped and wacked the side of the boat putting the hole in there. <br /><br />He bought a new motor because the mechanic told him the motor was junk. <br />Well to make a long story short I took the carbs off found the peice in the motor glued it with JB weld. Then I mounted it on a barrel and started it. The motor runs good. Compression was about 135 on all clyinders.<br /><br />I wanted to know if the power head would fit on the l-drive stuff? Right now I dont need it but in the future I might. Also is the lower unit the same? I just changed the u joints and in the process of changing them I noticed every thing looked the same as a outbord except the drive shaft, and the tilting parts.<br /><br />I dont know why everyone hates the l-drive or force motors, but I like the set up. You dont have the weight of a typical I/o and it is so simple to work on. The only reason I can think of people hating them is how mecury rips people off on replacement parts.<br /><br />P.s thank TMD for the help when I was have trouble with my rebuild. :)

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: l-drive motor interchange

As far as I know any of the original 85 and 125's will work back and forth. as for the 90's and 120's I am not sure if they use an adapter plate or not when converting to the old style.<br /><br />TMD