Know It All Quiz

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer
I thought the know it alls on this board might find this one interesting ( I sure didn't know 'em all!)<br /><br /> <br />This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't. These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers.<br /><br />1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the<br />participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.<br /><br />2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?<br /><br />3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?<br /><br />4. Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?<br /><br />5. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?<br /><br />6. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?<br /><br />7. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.<br /><br />8. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?<br /><br />9. Where are the lakes that are referred to in the Los Angeles Lakers?<br /><br />10. There are 7 ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. Taking a base on balls (a walk) is one way. Name the other 6.<br /><br />11. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.<br /><br />12. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."<br /><br /><br />***********************************************************************<br /><br /><br />Answers To Quiz:<br /><br />1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends . . boxing<br /><br />2. North American landmark constantly moving backward . . . Niagara Falls (The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)<br /><br />3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons . . asparagus and rhubarb.<br /><br />4. The only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball .. . baseball.<br /><br />5. The fruit with its seeds on the outside .. strawberry.<br /><br />6. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle. (The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, andare wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)<br /><br />7. Three English words beginning with dw dwarf, dwell and dwindle.<br /><br />8. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar . . . period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.<br /><br />9. The original lakes referred to in Lakers . . . in Minnesota. (The team was originally known as the Minneapolis Lakers, and kept the name when they moved west.)<br /><br />10. Seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit . . taking a base on balls (a walk) . . batter hit by a pitch, passed ball, catcher interference, catcher drops third strike, fielder's choice, and being designated as a pinch-runner.<br /><br />11. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh . lettuce.<br /><br />12. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with "s" . ... shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Know It All Quiz

5. pomegranate?<br /><br />Okay, so I don't know everything, not even everything that matters. I doesn't hurt. :D

TilliamWe

Banned

Vlad, thanbks for the cricket correction. See we do know it all!<br /><br />Uumm, explain to me how a batter reaches first on a past ball?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by TilliamWe:<br /> Vlad, thanbks for the cricket correction. See we do know it all!<br /><br />Uumm, explain to me how a batter reaches first on a past ball?
If it was strike three, same thing as the catcher dropping the ball only he never touches it, I guess. :rolleyes:

Dunaruna

Admiral

While the ball is in play, the batter can run at anytime. It's the job of the defence to make sure that the ball is always in their control so that if a batsman runs, they can run him out.<br /><br />When you say 'past ball', do you mean a ball that the batsman misses? Yes, he can run.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

A "passed ball" is a pitch that should have been caught but wasn't - it's an error charged to the catcher. If the catcher misses a pitch he couldn't have caught with "ordinary effort," then it's called a "wild pitch" and charged to the pitcher. The batter can try to take first on any dropped third strike. <br /><br />But then, it's possible for a batter to get on base without getting a hit on any error.

TilliamWe

Banned

jtexas, you made my point for me thanks. It's only possible for the batter to run on a "dropped third strike" which was in the answers. SO I guess if you want to say that on strike three the catcher should have caught the ball, but didn't, it's a "passed ball" not a "dropped third strike". I personally don;t differentiate between the two, because it's the same action causing the batter to run, the ball is rolling towards the backstop after he was called out on strike three. He doesn't see if the catcher dropped or missed it.<br />A know it all, knows it all! ;)

Dunaruna

Admiral

I thought you were asking about cricket. My bad.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

# 11<br /><br />I beg to differ, especially since I live lettuce country...<br /><br />Lettuce is processed; washed, sliced and mixed with other salad type vegetables, meats or seafood, then packaged and rushed to your local deli counter.<br /><br /> http://www.foodfunandfacts.com/creamoflettucesoup.htm <br /><br /> http://www.wpt.org/garden/about/template.cfm?program_seg=1302a <br /><br />and there's always wilted lettuce and spinach salad...it can also be used in the place of cabbage leaves in cabbage rolls or stuffed cabbage. Iceburg is good, but older, larger heads of romaine work well. :)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

jt & TW; yep, passed ball, wild pitch, & catcher drops third strike should only be counted as one way; lets say "catcher doesn't catch the third strike & batter reaches first base before being tagged out or a defensive player with possesion of the ball tags first base" to clarify the scenario for those who aren't very baseball savy.<br /><br />But fielder error should be a specific category that is not mentioned, which brings the total back up to 7.<br /><br />One might also consider the following: if a pitcher balks with no one on base, it is counted as a ball. So if the batter has three balls, no one is on base, and the pitcher balks, the batter gets first base, although I guess that's technically still a walk and not a seperate category.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

7. What about Dwight? Are names not considered proper english words? (really asking a question, not being sarcastic)

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah, my bad. Except fresh<br /><br />Sorry, ignore that post. :rolleyes:

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No. 11, I've never seen a canned or cooked avocado, but that might because i get them straight off the tree.<br /><br />No.7 Dwang, the piece oF timber that goes between two studs, sometimes called a nog, what do you guys call them? or am I just a dwindling dweeb?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Grant, I'm not too familiar with what the two studs would call that piece of timber (not that there's anything wrong with that), but dwang is good a word as any. :D :D <br /><br /><br />lakelivin I was thinking a dropped third strike would count as an error on the catcher, so replacing "dropped 3rd strike" and "passed ball" with "error" drops the list to five; a batter could swing at a wild pitch (are there still any knuckleballers out there?), which I don't think wild pitches are counted as errors, so puts it back at six. Now I'm not so sure about whether dropped 3rd strike is scored an error. If not I think you would put dropped 3rd strikes whether charged to pitcher or catcher in one category, and errors in another, I think you still have six, unless you want to put a wild pitch in its own category, I don't think I would do that.<br /><br />I didn't know a balk with no baserunners is scored a ball...that's interesting since I thought the balk rule was for the benefit of baserunners and not relevant to batters. Glad you mentioned that.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

jt,<br /><br />1) "Uncaught Third Strike". Although it could involve an error (if a passed ball is an error, I'm not sure), you're right in that the batter could easily swing at a wild pitch (knuckleball, nasty curve or splitter in the dirt, etc.), and miss it for the third strike. I'm not 100% positive, but pretty sure wild pitches aren't counted as errors. So this can't be counted only as a subset of the category 'Fielder Error'. Plus, it's a rare occurance and seems unique enough to justify counting as it's own category anyways. (Note for any interested non-baseball afficionados: with less than 2 outs, first base must be vacant for this to happen; with two outs doesn't matter if there is a runner on first or not). <br /><br />2) Fielder Error (dropped fly ball, ground ball that goes through an infielders legs, wild throw to first on a ground ball, etc.).<br /><br />3) Base On Balls<br /><br />4) Hit By Pitch<br /><br />5) Fielders Choice<br /><br />6) Catchers Interference<br /><br />7) Pinch Runner