Know how to dive from a Runabout?

Grunt_Sculpin

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys and gals,

Can you give me some ideas on how to dive from a runabout? I have a 2008 Glastron GT185 that I bought for playing with the family. I would also love to dive from it if I could figure out a good way to do it without totally ruining the boat. This boat has a nice swim platform off the back, but in order to get to it you need to climb over the cushion on the back. Any tips / tricks you have would be appreciated.

Thank You!

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Know how to dive from a Runabout?

I've dove off just about everything imaginable (jet ski included). The worst had to be climbing into my buddies Baja with a set of doubles. Some pics. of the boat would be helpful, but a decent ladder to the platform & crawl over the cushions. Where there's a will there's a way.

craig240DA

Seaman

We were just out snorkeling at a site when a Jetski pulls up and they had enough gear for one diver and one snorkler, so we felt kind of silly with our boat. Next time, I want to try the kayak!

thenotsofreeboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Try cabiner clips tied to a rope that is attached to the boat (a strong rope) hook up your BC with the regs and clip it to the rope (inflated of course) use extra clips for everything else you want to have with you get in your wet suit and over the seat you go. swim over to the rope put on the B/C and down you go. When you come up just clip everything to the rope and get back in.

Grunt_Sculpin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about putting the BC and Tank in the water on a rope once we get to the site and then climb in and suit up. I think some of the major challenges are where do you put the gear on the way to the dive site? How do you keep the tanks from banging up your fiberglass? Because it is a prop we really can't run the boat anywhere near the divers. How do we protect the seats from the dive gear when moving it around...etc?
By the way...what are wetsuits? I have never dove one.....too cold here...unless you only want to do one dive!

Thanks!

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about putting the BC and Tank in the water on a rope once we get to the site and then climb in and suit up. I think some of the major challenges are where do you put the gear on the way to the dive site? How do you keep the tanks from banging up your fiberglass? Because it is a prop we really can't run the boat anywhere near the divers. How do we protect the seats from the dive gear when moving it around...etc?
By the way...what are wetsuits? I have never dove one.....too cold here...unless you only want to do one dive!

Thanks!

I hear ya. Since I've gone dry I'll never go back. I use weights to keep the tanks from rolling around (dont have that prob. w/my doubles tho)

Bill Adkins

Seaman

I did in the past dive from a smaller boat, the tanks and weights liven on the BC, it traveled standing up in a plastic container from K Mart. Two dive sets in one box. I put my gear on while sitting on the side rail of the boat and rolled off backwards. On my return I clasped my gear to lines left in the water attached to dock cleats. I climed up thr outdrives to the swim step. They were a lot stronger than the small ladder attached to the swim step.Then I just pulled the gear up and put it back in the box. Worked really well for me. i did end up just free diving for a couple of years from that boat. It was so much easier without all the gear in a small boat. And freediving I got a lot more game.
Bill

qbantek

Cadet

I had some cuban friends that used to dive from an inner tube in havana waters.. beat that!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I like to dive from the bridge on the interstate. One time i tied about 15 of those fun noodles they sell for pools together and installed a solar powered trolling motor to it and went offshore diving. a wetsuit is almost like a dry suit except its nothing like it.

Dive Taxi

Cadet

I dove for many years from a little glastron 21'. The first thing I did was install some additional grab handles in the transom. This made getting back into the boat much easier.

The other thing I did was to reduce the weight I was hauling up while getting back into the boat. I fabricated a "float line" and tied it off before diving on stern cleat. ( I used an old boat fender, some line, and a brass clasp.) I'd roll out of my BC while still in the water, and use the brass clasp to secure it to the float line. That allowed me to take off my weight belt and toss is up into the cockpit. (I switched to soft weights...)

Hope that helps.