Kiwi in Singapore

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm taking a break from all this great NZ boating weather (which has finally arrived!)...and leaving for Singapore tomorrow (Sunday), on business - will be back in NZ on Friday afternoon. <br /><br />Singapore tends to be "head office" teritory for multinational companies servicing the Asia-Pacific region (which NZ is part of) so it's quite common for Kiwis and Aussies to go up there on business. There'll be quite a few there this week at the SAP regional conference that I'm going to.<br /><br />It's been 5 years since I was in Singapore last, but from what I recall, I won't be drinking much alcohol (unless someone else is paying - it's VERY expensive / ie highly taxed ), the weather is hot all year round, chewing gum is banned and the laws there are very strict . Despite all this, I'm sure I'll find a way to have some fun... :rolleyes: <br /><br />Catch you all later on :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Kiwi in Singapore

Have a safe journey 62_Kiwi. Catch you on the return.

silenscurator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good luck with that. no booze, no gum and hot weather just gonna make people irratable and man...there better be something interesting cause i'd go nuts....not so much the booze bit, but the hot and no gum....bah...i'll just stay here with all the other drunks in cold Canada, chewing my gum and not being able to watch hockey... :( ...oh well, Superbowl next weekend:D

aspeck

Staff member

Have a great time! See you in a week!

crab bait

Captain

yeah,, i here they bust butt with a rattan.. so i'd be good if'n i were you.. <br /><br />( un-less you like to be bad :) )

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Been there too, didnt like it much. Too hot and too many laws.<br /><br />After I arrived I found some chewing tobbacco that I had forgot in my suitcase. Big no-no there.<br /><br />I enjoyed HongKong much more.<br /><br />Have fun, and drink a Singapore sling for me.<br /><br />Ken

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Like the saying goes, 'when in Rome do as the Roman does'. The law there are set so that the country can have civilized citizen. If you want to go there then you have to follow their law. Like if I go to NZ, I will have to follow the law there, else I can have the choice of not going there.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm baaa-aack :D <br /><br />It was pretty good after all - hot and humid as a sauna outside, but most of the time I was inside with aircon so no problem. No problems with the strict laws, except my companion snapped a photo of a border guard who was carrying a sub machine gun. They stopped our taxi and made her delete it... :confused: <br /><br />Ken - Yep we went to Raffles and had a "Singapore Sling". That's a beautiful old building, very well kept, very posh - wasn't sure at first whether they'd let me in wearing jeans, but no problem. It's where Earnest Hemmingway used to drink, down in the bar there. Michael Jackson booked a whole 3 floors back in 1993 and 1996... <br /><br />The ole Singapore Sling's not a bad drink either... <br /><br />30ml Gin, 15ml Cherry Brandy, 120ml Pineapple Juice, 15ml lime juice, 7.5ml Cointreau, 7.5ml Benedictine, 10ml Grenadine and a dash of Angostura Bitters. Garnish with a slice of Pineapple and a cherry. ;) <br /><br />2 drinks cost us about 50 bux :eek: (Singapore).

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Weird how they would make her delete the picture, what could anybody possibly do with a pic?<br /><br />Man, those drinks are expensive!!! That is about 30 USD.<br /><br />Ken

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Did they put that "singapore sling" in 2 glasses or just one "BIGGGGGGGGGG"!!!!!!!! one???!!! ;) :cool: