Kitchen cabinets... Build your own, or buy?

Homerr

Commander
I have to do a little remodeling int he kitchen before we sell the house.<br /><br />My cabinets are shot, and I don't want to spend the money to replace all the cabinets.<br /><br />Is it cheaper to build your own, or should I try and patch up what I have?<br /><br />I don't work with wood much, as I have limited tooling for it, however I have access to a full machine shop. If it was up to me, I'd build them out of stainless steel! LOL!!<br /><br />Does anyone know where I can get a full set of plans to build your own cabinets?<br /><br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />H.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Kitchen cabinets... Build your own, or buy?

Homerr, There are thousands of plans for kitchen cabinets do a google search with "woodwork plans kitchen cabinets". I think its always cheaper to buy units if they are standard size. If you can replace just the doors that is very cheap. Making things requires tools , skill and materials buying from DIY store easy , cheap.

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class

hommer;If it were for yourself,i would build to my own spec. but since its for resale buy knocked dowd cab ,assemble,and have it done with.just as long as it looks good and saves some moneys that can be put into the next home..Good luck

crab bait

Captain

i wouldn't do nuthin'.. just clean a sell it..<br /><br />but if you must..... it's the ole' picnic table theory.. buy the time you buy everthin' to build one,,, you coulda bought one at home center for way less & way better & WAY FASTER..<br /> <br />but HOMMERR,,i gotta give it to ya... i bet if'n you were in need of a transmission ..you'd be comptenplatin' on how to build one..

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

You can also go to Home Depot or Lowe's cabinet department and get help planning what you need for free. Cabinets are reasonably priced and will probably wind up costing less overall in time and aggravation. When I used to work plant maintenance in a paper mill, we were always wanting to build replacement parts ourselves. The big boss always said " The only thing we can make cheaper than we can buy is paper". The years proved him right.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

One of the main selling features of a homes interior is the kitchen since more active time is probably spent there than any other room. Although a do-it-yourself project may be acceptable by your standards, it may not be up to the expectations of a prospective home buyer. <br /><br />Semi Custom cabinets such as Kraftmaid can be purchased at Home Depot for a relatively reasonable price. Currently they are offering 0 percent interest and no payments for a year which will enable you to tack the kitchen cabinets price on to your selling price and then hopefully write Home Depot a check once you sell the home.<br /><br />Kevin

tylerin

Commander

Homer I'm a tile contractor( alot of slab granite these days), I buy houses, fix them up, and sell, about every four years. Kitchens and baths is were I usually put my money. Buy the Home Depot modular cabinets and you'll be fine. Extremely easy to install, and youll get your money back. Don't try to build them or have custom built cabinets on a house you won't even be living in. Waste of money in my opinion. If the countertops are in good condition, you might be able to reface and just get away with doors and drawers. Remember if you redo the cabinets, you'll have to redo the countertops as well, which gets costly.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Put a new face on them by replaceing the doors and draw face's, thats cheap and eazy, and just replace a track here and their where it needs it.<br /><br />If its to sell, who cares? We do it all the time getting apartments ready for new tennets.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Homer, I would leave well enough alone. Sell as is. If buyer mentions the cabinets knock off 500.00. Let the new owner worry about the new cabinets. The new misses will probally want something totally different than what you do, and still try and jew you down even though you just dropped a 1000.00 in them.

18rabbit

Captain

Homerr - find a place to live, first. Then worry about the place you are leaving. :) <br /><br />We're doing the same thing. Based on what our selling realitor has said: I absolutely agree with Tylerin on this. If you can sneak by with the suggestion by Ryan, you might be able to save a few bucks, too.<br /><br />Crab bait has good input, too. If your cabinets are not totally destroyed, clean them. And maybe a little paint is all that's needed.<br /><br />Like Tylerin said, it's about getting more money 'out' than you put 'in' when you are selling your house.<br /><br />On the other hand, you've been kickin' around the idea of relocating. If you are not totally committed to do so, putting a little more effort and $$$ into your kitchen could change your living situation enough that maybe you will rethink the whole 'relocating' idea. Maybe you would prefer to stay...updating the kitchen will make everyone in your home happier...it's good feng shui! :)

tylerin

Commander

Rabbit, are we agreeing on something :confused: .........shhhh.....................mums the word :D Sorry Homer I had to throw that in

one more cast

Captain

I rebuilt an old farm house kitchen 8 or 10 years ago and went with unfinished pine cabinates they look nice when varnished and are inexpensive.