Kirkland Battery Help

orangeTANG

Cadet
I need a new starting battery for my 3L Mercruiser so I went to Costco to look at what they had. I could't find a Group 24 Marine starting battery. The have a Group 24 Marine Deep Cycle and a Group 27 Starting & Deep Cycle battery.

What I found strange though is that the Kirkland 24DC battery listed both CCA & MCA on their specs. So can this battery be used as a starting battery (with minimal fish finder usage), and be charged with my regular boat alternator, or does Costco no longer carry a Group 24 Starter battery? Its about $20 cheaper than the next cheapest place.

Specs:
Group Size: 24DC
Fitment Code: 15
Item Number: 207200
CCA: 550
MCA: 685
Reserve Capacity: 140
Amp Hour: 95

alldodge

Staff member
Its not the greatest bat but it will crank up you 3L motor. It can do what you listed above with no issue, only note is it is a cheap battery and others make better ones. The issue is after a couple years you might be looking for another one

orangeTANG

Cadet
Thanks AllDodge. Appreciate the input. I can get a 675 CMA true "Marine Starting Battery" for about $20 more. Cost aside, am I better off getting one type over the other? Is the Kirkland Deep Cycle going to be ok to charge off my stock alternator with multiple starts in a short period?

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks AllDodge. Appreciate the input. I can get a 675 CMA true "Marine Starting Battery" for about $20 more. Cost aside, am I better off getting one type over the other? Is the Kirkland Deep Cycle going to be ok to charge off my stock alternator with multiple starts in a short period?

The battery your look at will work fine when new and will start and charge back up very well. The issue comes in over time when the bat starts getting old and doesn't hold the same charge it use to. So if you have minimal power, when it gets old you can start having trouble sooner. If you have more power, then reaching the same minimal range will take more time. I like putting the largest amount a CCA's I can get, but that's just me.

It should start your motor easy so long as your motor has no starting issues, if it does have start issues then that would be another subject