Kink in water tube

bluemist

Seaman Apprentice
I don't think it will ever stop raining in New York. So yesterday I helped a good friend put the alpha drive on his boat. After the job was done I was inspecting the gimbal area when I saw the rubber tube had a noticable kink in it.<br />Question is there a fix for this or is removal of the gimbal a must. NOTE. He said that the boat was not running hot last year. If it stays cool this year should it be left alone or would it cause a problem due to back pressure on the impeller. This is a closed system.<br />AL

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Kink in water tube

I would replace the hose - this may help.<br /><br />Water hose replacement. Alpha <br /><br />You can install new hose, with outdrive in place, takes 2 two men 45 minutes. <br /><br />Raise outdrive about half way. Cut old water hose in half. <br />Carefully - note the exact position of the present hose clamps. New clamps have <br />to have screws in same position. - Barb must be at same angle -<br />Man in boat, removes engine water hose from hose barb through transom. Remove<br />flat plate with two small bolts. Pry out rubber grommet, a shot of liquid soap <br />will help. As outside man wiggles and pulls - inside man pushes on barb with screw <br />driver, hose and barb will slip out. <br /><br />Install new hose on hose barb - same clamp position. Soap hose - as outside man <br />pushes hose toward hole, inside man lines up with long screw driver and then<br />grabs with long needle nose, wiggle - push it - barb will come through transom. <br />Install grommet, plate and hose from engine.<br /><br />Remove exhaust hose at outdrive, to make work space. Remove water hose clamp,<br />split hose with utility knife, and pry off, clean hose fitting (barb) with sandpaper.<br />Soap hose and fitting, put clamp on and slide hose on fitting, may take 3-4 tries<br />but it will go. Or soap barb and warm end of hose with heat gun.<br /> Tighten clamp with 1/4 drive rachet, extension and 5/16 socket.<br /><br />Sand exhaust flange and inside of hose - very clean - smear bellows adhesive on<br />both. As man lies or sits under outdrive he holds exhaust hose on flange other man<br />installs clamp. <br /><br />Hose clamp position is critical - use plenty of soap. This works, I have done it<br />many times. <br />Use Merc hose - it will be correct length - 2 sizes - 5/8 and 3/4 <br />elpaso

bluemist

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Kink in water tube

Thank's for the tip Elpaso.<br />If it heats up I'll give it a try.<br />Have a Great Day. <br /><br />AL