King Cobra, King hub vs.King Cobra, Cone clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

1986mariner150

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am needing to know it these 2 outdrives interchange. More specifically can a king cobra, king hub be bolted in in place of a king cobra, cone cluth unit. I would have the transom set (gimble, steering, and inside mounting bracket).

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: King Cobra, King hub vs.King Cobra, Cone clutch

uh? I only know of one kind of king cobra drive.

1986mariner150

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been told one is the king that came behind big blocks from 1986-1993 (king hub) looks alot like a cobra with a bigger lower gear case. the other (cone clutch) has a hump on the top of the upper gear case and I have been told uses volvo gear sets. I believe it is a close relative to the penta sx except the water pump is intergrated into the upper case instead of being inside the boat.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The confusion lies with the terms. There was a King Cobra package that used a 460 Ford motor and a Cobra drive with the lower unit being similar in size to the V8 outboard. It was not a cone clutch drive.<br /><br />The King Cobra drives were the cone clutch type.

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

There were two king cobras. The first one was a clutch dog design were the shifting is done in the lower portion of the lower unit. The second was a cone clutch design were the shifting is done in the upper portion of the lower unit. The two of them do not inter-change. Every King Cobra we sold (clutch dog design) with a 460 broke the pinion gear. Many of them blew the pinion out the side of the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.