Kind of a n00b question.

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, are there any websites that have a diagram and description of some of the driveline components in an I/O setup? Like I said in my new guy thread, my thing is big boats, so I'm only knowledgable on the engine side of things, but know nothing about drive line. Thanks!<br /><br />-Jason

Bhamil

Seaman
Re: Kind of a n00b question.

Yes, there are several. Give us more info, like kind of boat, engine size, make, outdrive (OMC, etc.), and I'll bet someone can send you right to the spot. Oh, and I don't know what nOOb means but, if it's what I think, for shame!!!(LOL)

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice

Lol. n00b = newbie<br /><br />It's a 91 Searay 200<br />Mercruiser 150horse (I *think) and the drive is an Alpha 1 if I recall. At least that's what comes to mind. I don't actually own the boat, but I still feel kinda dumb for not having all the specs memorized. <br /><br />Also, is it possible to use engines that were originaly designed for automotive applications in marine applications?

Bhamil

Seaman

OK, Newby...I feel better already! Just Kidding!!<br />I have to go out in a little while so I'll answer the last part first. At first blush there's very little difference between an automotive engine and one built for marine use. Then you start to get specific...You could use an automotive block in a marine environment but here's the catch; An automotive engine is coupled to a transmission allowing you to shift down when the RPM's begin to increase, say 2100-2300 RPM in 4th/5th gear. So, top end is, say, 5000 (for arguements sake only). A marine engine (4 cycle) is coupled to an outdrive with a gear ratio that calls for constant RPM's in excess of 4000 as long as you run at speed, and some even higher. When you shift from reverse to forward, you're merely sliding one reverse gear from the output pinion to the forward gear and pinion, there's no clutch. So the load on a marine engine is high most of the time. I know there are many automotive blocks installed on boats and they are workhorses, so don't think you can't do it. The 5.0L is a 302CID, the 5.7L is a GM 350/360, something like that, both general purpose blocks. The marine deal is in the oil, filters, gas and treatment, carbeuration (when used), cooling, and electrical stuff, like starter and alternator. It's best to stick to marine for marine applications and let the automotive engines stay where they were designed to operate, in cars. That's my opinion, others might disagree, but I personally know guy's who insisted on putting automotive engines in boats and were towed in by SeaTow in short order, so that's what I think.

Trent

Captain

First off I dont think its a 150hp never seen one. Anyway here is a site to get you started on the outdrive. Need more information. Just ask.<br /><br /> web page

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the information!<br /><br />I'm one of those people that like to do custom creations of just about anything heh. I thought that it would be fun to find a nice 350 or some other decently powerful engine that I could modify a bit and stuff it in the searay. You gotta admit, a 21' searay would scoot with 600HP pushing it ;)

Trent

Captain

You want to scoot....Put a Turbine in it! :)

Bondo

Staff member

What's stated here is All very True.......<br />But, It just Scratches the Surface.......<br />Once you get that SBC block hung on an engine stand, We'll talk about What it takes to make Serious Power, Reliably....... ;) <br /><br />Trent, You've got the Most Increditable Links List I've ever Seen......<br />I think 90% of My Boat Tip Links, <br />I got from you.....<br />It's the Most Backed-Up File I have........ :D

Trent

Captain

Bondo....Thanks for the chuckle :) Wish I knew what file I put all of the links I have into! :rolleyes: <br /><br />You near Buffalo?

Bondo

Staff member

Nope,<br />I'm on the Other End of the Littlest Great Lake.....<br />Up here where the Great Lakes turn into a Mighty River......

Walt T

Lieutenant

Anyone trying to get 600 hp out of a 350 and an Alpha 1 is going to see a lot of pretty colors coming out of the back of their boat. Get informed of what can and cant be done on marine engines before you start spending money.

Bondo

Staff member

DieselWalt,<br />JGJ introdued himself down on Dock-side Chat.....<br />He's a Young fellow who hasn't had a chance,<br />To turn a Beautiful Running piece of Equipment into Scrap Iron YET......<br />Like You + I Have....... :D

Walt T

Lieutenant

I guess that's a pleasure that shouldnt be denied eh?

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by DieselWalt:<br />I guess that's a pleasure that shouldnt be denied eh?
Thinking of the expression that my diesel teacher would use.. oh yes.. "Oh ****" ;)