Killer Bees

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyon, Does anyone here know anything about them? I know that a lot of other states in the U.S. have had them for a few years now. They have just moved here and hurt some tree service workers in southern Oklahoma. Some advice would be appreciated , as how they swarm, how to cope with them while your out in the outdoors ect, some info please.I do know that they are " man made" by crossing two kinds of bees together. thank you in advance. Serenity

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Killer Bees

Treat them like Fire Ants. Stay away and whatever you do, don't annoy them.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Bit like Moderators really.... :D :D

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

the very slightest thing will make them mad (like achris said :D )<br /><br />seems they attack more pets but have been know to attack people that are mowing the yard and they hear/feel vibration.<br /><br />they swarm like regular bees. leave them alone and if you see a swarm of bees, assume they are the Africanized bees unless told otherwise by a reputable bee keeper.<br /><br />once again, watch out for them and stay away. check your surrondings before mowing, etc

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for the replies. It looks like I will not be going around bees anymore like I did when I was fixing up my boat. I was walking back and forth around them for about 15 min, then I looked down and a lot of bees were on the ground in the clover,when I took a step they would just move over for me took take a step and then move back when my foot was out of the way. It was kinda cool to watch them and not get stung,my ankle was just inches from them and they paid no attention. So I went on working on my boat.Our wasps are another story. Serenity

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Africanized [killer] Bees are very aggressive, but their sting is actually less painful than that of a regular bee. Certainly much less than a yellowjacket or wasp. They typically only attack if you are distubing their nest and can only sting once, like regular bees. It's the number of them that attack at once that got them their bad press. They are not dangerous if you stay away from them, like you would any stinging insect. If you want to get rid of them completely, like they did in Louisiana, just put out a notice that they are: 1. Delicious 2. Out of season 3. Federally protected species

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Are you sure they weren't yellowjackets? Bee swarms are usually found in trees or the side of buildings, you usally don't see them just clumped on the ground. Where there hundreds of them in a big clump or just a bunch of individuals flying around? Yellowjackets love to hang around clover, don't know why. I can't even begin to say how many times I go out on a call for "bees" just to tell the customer that they are yellowjackets, and there is little that can be done, except the usual eliminitation of attractants around the house. If you have clover, have a weed job done to eliminate the clover in your lawn, that will cut down on what you are seeing. Hang the yellow wasp traps away from the house, no dog food in bowls outside, no trash, keep everything clean.

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes they were honey bees we do get yellowjackets and red wasps around here a lot and those were honey bees for sure and It was cool to see them and I just let them bee themselves ;) I kept the dogs inside Serenity

Kenneth Brown

Captain

My experiance with the killer bees is just to leave them alone. I do know that if you kill one it puts out some sort of signal to bring the others in. I killed one and others just kept coming and coming. I learned just to lightly brush them away and you'll be fine.