Kill Switch

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My control box has the spring loaded button emergency ignition cut-off switch with the rubber suction cup like lanyard connection that is supposed to hold the button down. The rubber keeps popping off and killing the engine, most annoying. I ended up running back to the launch today with one hand pushing in the button and the other on the helm, could have used a third for the throttle. <br /><br />I don’t need or use or want this lanyard kill feature, my boat plenty safe without it. I’d like to disable it but I can’t find a wiring diagram that shows it. Does anyone know an easy way disable this button? The engine is a 1987 Johnson 70hp and the controls are 1987 vintage as well.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Kill Switch

That rubber cap like piece was repalced long ago by a different style that works fine. Just have your Evin/John dealer order one. He probably has them in stock anyway.

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That’s certainly an option but I’d rather just disable it and never have to worry about it again.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

With the new stlye lanyard that Dhadley speaks of, you will never encounter that problem again. I strongly advise against disabling that kill switch function.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cap'n,<br /><br />If you want to permanently remove its function, trace the two wires that join to it - black/yellow and black, probably - and snip the black one, sealing the end properly of course.<br /><br />This prevents the switch from grounding when the lanyard pops off. It's the grounding that kills the spark to the plugs.<br /><br />Not to be recommended, for obvious safety reasons, but that's the mechanics of it.<br /><br />Ciao