Kill switch/shifter issues

Stevie-Sunbird

Recruit
Immediately after puchase we encountered problems with the engine going into gear and taking off. Disconnecting the kill switch at the engine block corrected that issue. Had mechanic look at it when serviced for winterization....supposedly fixed but still having same problem. Shifter is also stubborn about going into neutral at idle. Do I just need to replace the cable or do I have two different problems that need different repairs? Takes off fine as long as kill switch is not connected....just don't like that scenario.?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's being painted. Saw it today and it almost made me cry to see how great it looked. An old bird with an updated classy look. Will post pics when I get it back.

BrandonHa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Kill switch/shifter issues

I had a very similar problem with ours. In our case it did not have anything to do with the kill switch though.

When I put it in reverse it would go forward. Could not shift it in to neutral and it eventually had a heck of a time starting while I was out fishing one day because it was stuck in gear. Lucky for me it started and I made it back to the dock without it dying.

Prior to it just being stuck in gear it also would die constantly while in gear at low speeds. Reverse was not really an option because it would die as soon as I shifted it in to gear.

In my case it was the throttle cables being so worn out and when shifted in to reverse or forward the cables were stretched so the motor just could hardly idle.

We paid our mechanic $150 to replace the cables. That included the cable. It was night and day difference. I could drive in reverse all day long if I wanted to without any issues. Shifts like a champ.

Something I just learned though. We tore the deck and everything out of the boat to replace the foam and just totally "redo". Had to disconnect the center console to get it out of the boat. I have 0 mechanical skills and I cant believe how easy it would of been to replace them cables myself and save $150 dollars.

Maybe yours is an entirely different issue but maybe its similar. What kind of Sunbird do you have?

Stevie-Sunbird

Recruit
Re: Kill switch/shifter issues

Thanks for your response Brandon. Like you I'm thinking my throttle cable is the culprit....lots of use and a lot of years to it's defense. My mechanic also suggested a bad or loose ground wire. Thanks for sharing about your redo discoveries. I've got lots of common sense, ingenuity and practical skills, but mechanical is not on my list either (I'm female and a veterinarian). Forums are awesome for those like us! So nice to share experiences,especially when talking about boats who are now orphaned (ie death of a manufacturer).
I have a 1989 Corsica 185 bowrider, 18 1/2', engine replaced in 1996 with duplicate 4.3L I/O. My first boat, a dream come true. Bought this boat in memory of a deceased friend who had one back in the late 80's. I know it's not the highest quality or most dependable brand, but I love it nonethless. So far it has surpassed all my expectations. W/ exception of worn rubrail and upholstery, it now looks like a brand new boat...just with the vintage class and lower price of an old-timer. Will post again when I get my issues worked out. Enjoy yours!