Kill switch install

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys,

I bought a boat (1991 Sea Ray with a 91 Mercury 135 black max) and oddly enough, the boat did not come equipped with a safety kill switch. Bought one of the Saf-T-Stop ignition cut off switches from Academy and cannot figure out how to install it. The directions say to connect black wire to ground (no problem) and red lead to black/yellow wire in control box. I see a black and yellow wire coming from ignition switch? Is this the wire? Before I start cutting into wires wanted to get you alls input.

Thanks,

Don

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Kill switch install

What controls are on that?

The stock mercury throttle set for that engine has a guarded toggle switch on the back of it that will trap and hold the ring end of a lanyard. If the cord is pulled, the switch is thrown downward, killing the engine.

On the early remote controls the kill wire is orange. On later commander controls, the wire is black/yellow. I don't know of a commander control that doesn't have an ignition safety (kill) switch built into it.

hope it helps
John

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is no safety switch on the control. There is an orange wire and a black/yellow wire coming off the ignition switch. Which one should I tie into with the kill switch?

Thanks

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hooked the kill switch to the black/yellow wire and it didn't kill the engine when the lanyard was pull and switch thrown down. I do know that wire (black/yellow) is required to kill the engine from the ignition. Should I connect the kill switch to the orange wire?

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nevermind guys. I had it hooked to a bad ground. Hooked it to a good ground and bingo, it works. Now I can avoid the 500.00 dollar fine our wonderful marine police writes for those who aren't wearing their lanyard. I can now go back to stressing whether or not to premix and figuring out my cooling issues. :)