Kill Cord does not operate properly (not electtical)

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Kill Cord concerns.
I have had many outboards and mercruiser I/O. ... and kill cord been fine on the single lever controls. .. Merc, Honda & Suzuki.
On my new H210, on 5th trip out ... driver stood up and walked to stern forgetting cord .... did it simply pull off as designed ..... No.
It pulled the whole plastic trim off from around the Volvo Penta control snapping the plastic recesses the 4 fixing bolts go through. 3 snapped off totally, one cracked.
Not exactly what you expect to happen.
It very sturdy, also questions ... seriously how much excessive force is needed to pull off the cord.
Unlike Merc which is a thin plastic clip, the VP is a pretty thick insert, if pulled parallel to face of control it co es out easily ... in practice, it would be pulled at or around 90 degrees to face of control.
It takes a huge amount of pull to remove .... and as witnessed surround snaps instead.
Not impressed.

Pic of trim attached ….. you can see 3 of the four mounting holes, centres snapped out.

To show how hard it is to remove kill cord take a look at the video – only 1 min long, shows how much force on the cord and it won’t come off.
https://youtu.be/RFKxTUgqgA8

Attachments

• photo338344.jpg
    photo338344.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would take this up with the dealer or Volvo-Penta. The cover is flimsy or kill switch attachment is a bad design.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That is a very bad design for sure. I used a Merc type and the slightest tug was all it took. That is how it is supposed to be. Yours has issues... JMHO

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Check your owners packet nd see if the correct safety lanyard is in it. If not, contact the selling dealer.

otteray

Seaman Apprentice
Is it attached incorrectly to the t shaped tab that releases the button? Hard to see; but, maybe relocate the lanyard that is now on the lower part of that 't' shaped release, to the upper part of the ''t'.
Edit: Upon closer inspection; never mind, it looks like a bad design as said by others here.

Last edited:

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Update ... I have taken it to the dealer .....boat is in there now.
Volvo has now advised that they cannot supply that Bezel .... there are no spare parts available, its has been discontinued.
So I have a new boat delivered in June this year and can't get parts for it - not very good. They have offered that the complete single lever control can be replaced ... but currently, dealer advises VP will not cover that under warranty.

GA_Boater

@Tafflad Aren't you in the EU with some of the strictest safety regulations in the World? A faulty or poorly designed kill switch and lanyard surely violate both safety and warranty regulations.

Also, a 4 month old new boat has a longer than 4 month warranty. So the part has been discontinued, not your fault. I think the dealer or V-P may be giving you a ride

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
@Tafflad Aren't you in the EU with some of the strictest safety regulations in the World? A faulty or poorly designed kill switch and lanyard surely violate both safety and warranty regulations.

Also, a 4 month old new boat has a longer than 4 month warranty. So the part has been discontinued, not your fault. I think the dealer or V-P may be giving you a ride
Correct in UK ... the local VP dealer is very sympathetic & helpful, I'm hoping they will resolve this ..... but it is surprising they can't get the part.
This is forst time I have had a VP .... been challenging, but some of issues have been the boat manufacturer, just taking so long to resolve thngs.

GA_Boater

I just noticed your signature. Are the UK and Wales still under EU regulations? It's hard to keep track.

Hope someone takes care of your broken panel.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
UK officially left EU Jan 2020 ... but there is a 12 months transition period where we remain under EU trading rules - and there is a lot of negotiation going no. EU wants Britain to accept in full all the current and any future EU trading rules (while having no say in them) or Britain will have to pay Tariffs on all deals with EU countries.

Loads of talks, biggest stumbling point is Northen Ireland .... it wants to remain part of UK, Ireland says it can't as there would then need to be a trade border between Eire (Southern Ireland) and Norten Ireland.
Plus EU wants Britain to give up its British fishing grounds to EU, whereas Britain has said it will enforce its fishing grounds once transition period over.
There is very lucrative fishing in the North Sea .... large portions are Britsh fishing ground taht EU has had access to since Briotain was in the EU, heavily fished by Spain & Portugese fleets.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
This might be a boatbuilder issue. Some of them supply the control.
Either way. This is something any good selling dealer will take care of ASAP

Might be time to raise your voice a little bit.