kicking myself

Wallup

Cadet
Hello all, have a 1990 Chaparral Villain II Eliminator with a 350 merc. Was cruising at 65 when I heard the engine begin to rap at me. I throttled back and cut the engine immediately. After being towed to my dock about a hundred feet away I realized I had no oil in my engine. <br /><br />I put some 40 wieght in it and cranked it up to see where the noise was coming from and I have a definite knocking and an irregular idle at best. I wanted to ask you veterans out there what kind of damage I'm looking at. I have a buddy who can help me pull the motor and reinstall just not sure what exactly I destroyed.

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: kicking myself

Crank and connecting rod if you caught it in time. Running without oil can do a lot of collateral damage. Might be a good time to think about a 383 kit...

Wallup

Cadet

Thanks for the response Jack -- <br /><br />How much does something like this cost, the crank and connecting rod, best quesstimation. I know I have to get in there and see but I'm just trying to see if shes gonna get back on the water this summer or not. <br /><br />I been extremely happy with the boats perfomance and I just want to get her to pur like she used too -- not worried about more horsepower.<br /><br />What other kind of things do I need to be thinking about, "collateral damage?"

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

You can get a short block from one of a number of places, GM, Mercruiser, and Jasper just to mention a few. Cost, $2500.00 or so. Yank your power plant, switch the good stuff from your engine, to the new short block, drop her in and go. Shortest distance back to the lake.

Wallup

Cadet

Wow...I'm taking donations if anyone wants a boat ride

DayCruiser

Ensign

Why was there no oil in your engine? Shouldnt hurt it if it was just a quart low.