Kicker Questions...Again

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm still struggling with selecting a motor for my new 7'7" inflatable. It is rated for a 4hp max. It must be under 40#(bad back), the lighter the better. I really wanted neutral and twist-grip throttle but these features aren't offered on these smaller motors(except the newest 2.5 hp 4-strokes) . The 4.0 Deluxe does but it is too heavy. I HAVE found some beautiful used two-strokes that offer up to 4 hp and weigh up to 35#. For example, a gorgeous 1977 Evinrude 4 horse, fresh water only, showroom condition for $350. With a roll-around engine stand. That's nearly twice the power of the new motors at less than half the cost. And it's a twin too! I also found a never used '98 Johnson 2,single cylinder, 30#, for $350. However, all of these lack the neutral and twist-grip throttle features that I THINK I need. My question is, how important are these features. I've never ran an outboard without neutral and twist-grip throttle and I'm imagining that it is awkward to be constantly reaching back to adjust the power setting, diverting my attention. How about starting a direct-drive motor? Doesn't it want to leap out from under on startup? Another question, some motors have integral tanks with a screw-down vent cap. If laid down for transport will they leak out the cap or the float-bowl? Maybe a seperate tank is more secure. Hopefully the folks that have used these motors will help me get my priorities in order. It looks like insisting on neutral and twist-grip throttle is going to cost me in money and horsepower. Is it worth it???

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Kicker Questions...Again

Those little JohnnyRude 3-4HP twins are the best small outboards ever made, Lowranger. If you can't handle over 30# get one without gearshift and twist.

It is a short learning curve to get used to the simpler, lighter engine on a small boat. I used a '63 Johnny 3HP on my 7' Sportyak. I had it down on the first day and never found it inconvenient thereafter.

I would still prefer the Deluxe 4, but you have to love any of that series.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If the 4 hp is running right you should be able to start it at reduced throttle with a couple of pulls.At idle speed you could hold it at the dock with one hand.Once you are sure how it starts and idles you could probably start it with a rope looped around a cleat at the dock.
I think the older Johnson/Evinrude 3 hp weigh 28 lbs.
Has 360 degree reverse and these idle so low and smooth as to barely move.Routine parts for the 3 hp are readily available all the way back to the 50s.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sounds like a person COULD get comfortable with these starting and throttling procedures but since I've never used them I'm nervous. Shoot, I've never even ridden in an inflatable but now I own one. I simply want to get a motor that I can be comfortable with. It looks like a trade-off between paying $800-$900 for a new 2.5 hp motor offering these features and #300-$400 for a used, but pristine, motor that lacks them. As with everything boating related, trade-offs are involved. How about the issue of integral -vs-separate fuel supply? I was planning to transport my inflatable atop the cabin of my 22' C-Dory and lay the motor inside. I sure don't want gas leaking into the dinghy as I ply sometimes rough waters. Here are a couple of the motors I'm looking at. That's a never used 1998 Johnson 2 for $350 and a seldom used 1977 Evinrude 4 for $350.
1977evinrude4hpoutboard-350.jpg
2J.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

What do plan on using the small boat for?

If you just want to use it as a saftey measure then it won't make much difference which motor or what features you get, so go light and simple. If you want to use it often and run it for extended periods of time, then go with the Evinrude 4HP.
There's a big difference in how the singles and twins run, the singles are louder and vibrate a lot more, they can be very annoying if you need to run it for long periods of time like when trolling. The twins typically last longer and are very nice to troll with, but they are heavier.

As to how well you can transport them and not have fuel leak out. I have 3.3 merc that even with the gas shut off and the vent closed will leak horribly, and I've had 1.5 and 2hp Evinrudes, one did OK, the other one leaked a little.
I seem to have about the same luck with my 6 and 9.9HP Evinrudes when it comes to leaking when layed down.

The 3.3 Merc and Tohatsu 2 strokes (same motor) have forward and neutral, just no reverse.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ondarvr said:
What do plan on using the small boat for?
On the Columbia River and up in the Puget Sound and San Juan Islands I'll use it to go from the anchored mothership to shore or the dock. Rarely any great distances, I think. Although I may occasionally "explore" with it. There WILL likely be some strong currents and/or wind. The reason I must stay light is because I'll need to lift the motor up into the dinghy when I'm cruising.
LSI77LSI88shortenedwithpaint.jpg

That means stepping up onto the gunnel while maintaining my balance and not falling or dropping it overboard. As to fuel, based on your experiences it may actually be MORE desirable to have a separate tank. Then I could simply run the carb dry. If this is the case then perhaps I should narrow my focus to motors such as the Evinrude.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THIS JUST IN... A new contender has appeared on the scene that may be the best option so far. It is a 1987 Evinrude 4 Ultra twin cylinder for $400. Model CE4RCUD. It looks like a short shaft. Can anyone confirm this? It has a funny tank that hangs on the leg. The seller tells me that it was a salty very briefly in its life but has been fresh since. It weighs 33#. The two pictures I've got look good. More will be emailed to me this evening after they have dinner. If it's clean should I jump on it ? Others are clamoring so I need to decide quickly.
Ultra41987E4RCU33.jpg
Ultra4b.jpg

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

FYI...a new 2 HP will cost $775 out the door including delivery...a new 3.5 HP is 43 lbs and will cost $870....My buddy use to have a Zodiac and we use to go out on the tidal rivers in MD...They are great little boats and much more stable and solid than I expected....The price I gave above is a single cylinder...twin might be a bit smoother.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Success !!! After several false-starts and near misses I found exactly what I was looking for( but doubted existed). Twist-grip throttle. Forward AND neutral. Twin cylinders. Light weight(She only weighs 33#s).
ZZZ.jpg
This little jewel is a 1994 Evinrude 4 (4RER). I had to drive 200 miles and pay a high price but I'm thrilled with my new friend. Thanks to all who took the time to respond to this thread and the 4 Deluxe thread.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Even though you run the carb dry you may get a little gas dripping out you might try some sort of plastic tray to lay the power head in to catch the few drips.
I wonder if you could put the motor on the cabin roof and put the boat upside down over it?

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I would replace that steel tank with a plastic one. Those are known to rust and will clog a carb. In fact, that is why we got our 4 deluxe so cheap.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

steelespike said:
Even though you run the carb dry you may get a little gas dripping out you might try some sort of plastic tray to lay the power head in to catch the few drips.
I was thinking that a kid's plastic toboggan would make a nice tray. I'll line it with a nice closed-cell foam(blue camper pad). As to the fuel-tank, I was thinking about the "Dinghymate". These neat little tanks hang on the transom. I think they're roto-molded polyethylene.