Kicker motor

Richard1*

Recruit
I have a 2000 tracker targa 18. Would like to install a 9.9 kicker. Wondering what shaft length and does it make a difference what side to mount.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Need a long shaft motor propped right to run towards its max wot rpm range. Seen kickers mounted on both sides of the main motor, don't know if will make any performance difference.

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
measure your transom for leg length

usually the kicker is mounted on the port side to offset the single guy fishing who is normally on the starboard side.

other than that, no preference.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Tracker's 2021 literature shows several kicker options, and they are all extra long shaft. I don't know if the motor mount came with the kicker package, or if it was standard on the boat. What is further unknown is what they did in the 2000 model year.

Performance wise, the engine can be mounted either port or starboard. Often times a stbd. mount will interfere with the steering cables of the main, so a port mount is needed. If location has no issues, a stbd mount is preferred. If you ever want or need to tiller steer it, that will position the tiller in the right place.

If you don't already have a mount, buy one and install it first. Then measure the distance to the bottom of the boat. The prop must at least be below the boat. Position of the AV plate is not of any concern, per se'.

If you bought the package from Tracker I'm sure they would provide the correct prop. Since you are totally after-market, and since little kickers have a limited prop selection, just buy the lowest pitch prop available. Don't worry about rpms - there aren't enough options to be able to dial-in. Some prop catalogs might call it a "Sailboat Prop". One of my boats currently runs a Mercury 4-stroke "Sail Pro", which came factory setup with the best prop and even an internal generator.

Last edited:

Richard1*

Recruit
Tracker's 2021 literature shows several kicker options, and they are all extra long shaft. I don't know if the motor mount came with the kicker package, or if it was standard on the boat. What is further unknown is what they did in the 2000 model year.

Performance wise, the engine can be mounted either port or starboard. Often times a stbd. mount will interfere with the steering cables of the main, so a port mount is needed. If location has no issues, a stbd mount is preferred. If you ever want or need to tiller steer it, that will position the tiller in the right place.

If you don't already have a mount, buy one and install it first. Then measure the distance to the bottom of the boat. The prop must at least be below the boat. Position of the AV plate is not of any concern, per se'.

If you bought the package from Tracker I'm sure they would provide the correct prop. Since you are totally after-market, and since little kickers have a limited prop selection, just buy the lowest pitch prop available. Don't worry about rpms - there aren't enough options to be able to dial-in. Some prop catalogs might call it a "Sailboat Prop". One of my boats currently runs a Mercury 4-stroke "Sail Pro", which came factory setup with the best prop and even an internal generator.
Thank you I appreciate your response