Kicker Motor ?

jofish

Seaman Apprentice
I am planning on mounting a 8Hp. Merc. on my 17.5 foot Starcraft (fiberglass). Main power is a 110hp. Evinrude. Planning on using a retractable alum. mount thru-bolted on the stbd. side of the transom. After reading some recent posts, I am concerned about the stabilty of these mounts. Will it help to put a stiffner plate(wood/metal)on the inside of the transom to help spread the load? I fish salt & fresh water(nearshore) and plan on using this kicker for slow trolling and a backup in case the 110 takes a powder. Also looking for some advice on mount location,how to measure , how close to main engine etc. :confused:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Kicker Motor ?

Mounting location is mostly trial and error with your boat and two motors.<br /><br />Most of these motor mounting brackets instruct you to remove the motor from the mount, when you trailer your boat.<br /><br />I bought one a couple years ago, but didn't really like the way it was going to fit on my boat. It positioned the motor too far back, and made turning difficult. I have an aluminum 16' fish 'n ski.<br /><br />I now use a 15hp longshaft motor as my kicker. It mounts on top of my transom and is long enough to extend below the bottom of the hull. I tried mounting it on the starboard side, but found it awkward. It is now on the port side of the transom.<br /><br />I realize there is a price difference, but the 9.9hp only weighs about 5 lbs more than an 8hp, about 80 pounds. The 15hp, weighs the same as the 9.9hp. Something to think about.<br /><br />So my advice is, get a 9.9 or 15hp longshaft, and skip the bracket if you can.

jofish

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply roscoe, you confirmed my gut felling that I was going to have to w.a.g. it. Unfortunatley the 8hp.Mercury is the only option,kinda walked into a deal. There is not enough room in the well to mount it beside the 110 Evin. so the retractable mount is my only option.Gonna have to make it work somehow.I was already planning caring the motor in the back of the truck when trailering, didn't like the idea of 65lbs bouncing around back there!won't be able to get to this project for the next couple of weeks , I'll post my result's

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

It sure wouldn't hurt to put some kind of backing on there. See if you can find a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" aluminum stock to use as the backer. Doesn't need to be very big. A couple of inches on the sides of the holes and the same on the top and bottom.

cjones4@hvc.rr.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try to mount it far enough away from the main engine so that there is no interference when turning in both directions. My big ol 75HP Evinrude hits my kicker when turning to port and doesn't allow sharp turns. If you see a red Starcraft trolling and only making right turns... that would be me.